Monday, September 1, 2014

Jennifer Shephard
Jennifer Shephard
Jennifer Shephard fell in love with photography in high school. While that was quite awhile ago, she still loves capturing a great moment with her camera.

Elkhart Truth on Instagram
Follow @elkharttruth for more photos.

Photographing curling would rock

Curling rocks! That's how I see it as a photographer. I have never seen curling live, but if I could choose one sport to cover at the Sochi Olympics it would be curling.

Posted on Feb. 15, 2014 at 6:39 p.m.

The winter Olympics offer plenty of the usual sports such as hockey, skating, and skiing, but the events I like the most are more obscure. Take curling. I have never seen curling live, but I find it visually interesting and that is why if I could choose one sport to photograph in Sochi it would be the sport that rocks...curling.

There are a variety of angles that come into play. I like that it isn't an all out speed game and that you can show motion, but the pace isn't like flying down the side of a mountain. I also like that the athletes sometimes look more like someone you would run into at the local watering hole than a world class athlete. This gives us folks at home something to shoot for. Maybe we could be curlers too.

Check out a collection of images pulled together by The Denver Post. It shows the competition, the fashion, did I forget to mention the whacky pants worn by the Norwegians? 

Curling just has it all. Action, crazy fans, strategy, and yes, skill. I suspect the curlers in Sochi are making it look much easier than it really is.

Back to top ^