Saturday, November 1, 2014

Jennifer Shephard
Jennifer Shephard
Jennifer Shephard fell in love with photography in high school. While that was quite awhile ago, she still loves capturing a great moment with her camera.

Elkhart Truth on Instagram
Follow @elkharttruth for more photos.

A Bald Eagle visits Island Park Wednesday

A Bald Eagle was seen flying over Island Park Wednesday morning. The early morning light caught the frost on the trees making the island look like a winter wonderland.

Posted on Feb. 12, 2014 at 6:07 p.m.

I decided to layer-up and get out of the office Wednesday morning. My destination was Elkhart's Island Park where the early morning light made the frost on the trees come to life. My first approach was maybe a rash decision, but I decided I wanted a vantage point from the west side looking to the east. This lead me to Beardsley Park and the extremely steep hill to the parking lot. It looked plowed so I thought "why not". I took a few minutes to make photographs then I said a little prayer before driving back up the steep hill. Luckily, I made it without a hitch. The photos from this position were a little disappointing to me so I looked for another location. 

Next I decided to see what the island looked like from the east side from the train trestle. Again I parked the car and headed out on foot. This quickly became a slow slog as I was breaking through the ice and snow nearly up to my knees. I pushed on, but again the images weren't worth the effort.

Finally, I landed at Bicentennial Park and accessed the island from the footbridge. Immediately I was in a better photographic setting than the previous spots. I began taking photos of all the beautiful snow covered trees in the park. As I made my way further into the park I noticed a couple of city trucks slowly going around the island. I thought it was odd because the paths are clear of snow. On a second pass they stopped and asked if I had seen the Bald Eagle. I had not! Luckily, they clued me in to seeing and photographing the large American symbol. We only saw it for a couple of minutes before it flew off to the west along the river.

My decision to get out of the office, even on a morning with extremely low temperatures paid off. It almost always does. 

Recommended for You

Back to top ^