Thursday, October 30, 2014

Horses roam in a snowy pasture on Jan. 9, 2014. (Jennifer Shephard/The Elkhart Truth)

Horses roam in a snowy pasture on Jan. 9, 2014. (Jennifer Shephard/The Elkhart Truth)

Horses play in a snowy pasture on Jan. 9, 2014. (Truth Photo By Jennifer Shephard)

A horse plays in the snow on Jan. 9, 2014. (Jennifer Shephard/The Elkhart Truth)

A horse plays in a snowy pasture on Jan. 9, 2014. (Jennifer Shephard/The Elkhart Truth)
Rural Elkhart County can be scenic with the snow
Posted on Jan. 9, 2014 at 12:00 a.m. | Updated on Jan. 9, 2014 at 4:11 p.m.

I braved a trip into the county today. I wasn't sure what the road conditions would be like, but as long as I proceeded with caution I felt fairly safe.

As I turned onto C.R. 30 and headed west from C.R. 9 I came across a group of horses in a pasture. I initially saw one of them almost playfully running around kicking up snow. I decided to spend some time photographing them.

A couple were quite interested in me and a couple were oblivious to my presence. The two who were keeping an eye on me immediately began walking toward me, which was fine until I noticed that with the high snow drift along the fence line they could probably easily jump the fence if they wanted to. The went right up to the fence and I have to admit I got a little nervous. Luckily for me they didn't venture over the fence.

That would have been a little more "wild art" than I had bargained for when I left the office.