Friday, July 25, 2014

Give Elkhart students the resources they need

After teaching math in Elkhart for 33 years. and coaching for 51 (and counting!) I know how hard our educators work. However, they are burdened by restrictions placed by the state legislature.

Posted on April 30, 2014 at 11:29 a.m.

I agree with the letters from Tom Kurth ("Former coach urges Elkhart to vote yes May 6") and Scott Sindle ("Elkhart Memorial grad supports May 6 referenda") regarding the upcoming referendum vote for Elkhart Community Schools.

Years ago our school system prepared me well for college. Years later, my children received equal benefit from the same system.

After teaching math in Elkhart for 33 years. and coaching for 51 (and counting!) I know how hard our educators work. However, they are burdened by restrictions placed by the state legislature.

Though the administration and school board never cease striving to give our children the best, resources are exceedingly limited. That's why I urge eligible voters to say yes to both of the May 6 referendums. Let's work together to give our young scholars the resources they need now and in the future.

JIM EGER

Bristol

In this Saturday, July 19, 2014 photo, displaced Christians who fled the violence in Mosul, pray at Mar Aframa church in the town of Qaraqoush on the outskirts of Mosul, Iraq. The message played over loudspeakers gave the Christians of Iraq's second-largest city until midday Saturday to make a choice: convert to Islam, pay a tax or face death. By the time the deadline imposed by the Islamic State extremist group expired, the vast majority of Christians in Mosul had made their decision. They fled.

Posted on July 24, 2014 at 5:15 p.m.
 Fox News talk show host Sean Hannity tweeted this photo of himself with Texas Gov. Rick Perry on a gunboat patrolling the Texas border July 10, 2014

Posted on July 24, 2014 at 4:57 p.m.
 People look at pictures of the victims of the Malaysian Airlines crash in a central square in Kharkiv, Ukraine, Thursday, July 24, 2014. Two more military aircraft carrying remains of victims from the Malaysian plane disaster arrived in the Netherlands on Thursday, while Australian and Dutch diplomats joined to promote a plan for a U.N. team to secure the crash site, which has been controlled by pro-Russian rebels.

Posted on July 24, 2014 at 4:11 p.m.
Back to top ^