Friday, December 19, 2014

Tree Lesson Human nature closely connected to Mother Nature

Posted on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:00 a.m. | Updated on Oct. 28, 2013 at 6:49 p.m.

Kathy Najar’s article about things we can learn from trees, (Oct. 24, 2013, People’s Forum) was very thought-provoking. I too am constantly amazed at how closely human nature is connected to Mother Nature.

As I watch the leaves come down it strikes me how some trees “give up” their leaves long before others do. The wind can blow really hard and some leaves continue to “hang on.” We all know people who give up easily when adversity strikes, but others can hang in there through the worst of times. One of my favorite poems is entitled “The Red Oak” by Richard Falcon.

“Among the four seasons’ perpetual jokes / Is the winter appearance of overdressed oaks. / Refusing to fall with the sleet and the snow / Oak leaves cling, lifelike, through fifty-below / Until they are nudged by the force of the sap / Rising to fashion the oak a spring wrap.

I hope when it’s autumn and winter for me / I can look as alive as the overdressed tree / And during the lengthening nights I can cling / To my wits and my heart—the tokens of spring— / Only releasing them into the sod / The moment I’m dressed in the glory of God.”

Mrs. Frances Anderson

Elkhart

Recommended for You

Joe Donnelly Thor

Posted on Dec. 18, 2014 at 1:53 p.m.
Varvel edit toon Taliban Pakistani children

Posted on Dec. 18, 2014 at 12:15 p.m.
Kelley edit toon Jeb Bush Hillary Clinton

Posted on Dec. 18, 2014 at 10:15 a.m.
Back to top ^