Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Many reasons to support bond issue

Posted on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:00 a.m. | Updated on Oct. 28, 2013 at 6:39 p.m.

Last week there was a e-poll to see what people thought about tax caps. Most people agreed they are working and the school system needs to adjust to having less budgeted money. This is true. One way they are doing this is looking to pass a $17.1 million bond issue which will be voted on Nov. 5 by all registered voters within the Goshen Community Schools district.

Because the facade on the front of Goshen High School needs to be repaired, because it is not fiscally responsible having a $200,000 average maintenance bill on two pools, because Phend Field needs to be relocated due to the proposed overpass, because the GMS cafeteria needs enlarging due to children eating at 10:30, because the music programs cannot practice in their normal rooms due to the size of the award-winning, growing bands and their lack of adequate space, because of the need for more PE space at Goshen Middle School and GHS — because of all these things that impact most children at GMS and GHS, the school district is adjusting, being fiscally responsible looking to pass this bond issue. Because of tax caps there is no other way to plan needed renovations and additions into the school budget.

I support this bond issue because of our well-led, successful music programs. I support this bond issue because the need of for a new pool that does not drain resources for upkeep. I support this bond issue because the children at GMS should have more than 10 minutes to eat their lunch and not start at 10:30.

This will cost the median home owner $37.06 per year. I support paying this and hope that all registered voters will consider voting yes on Nov. 5. This supports our students, our schools and our community.

Steve Norton

Goshen

Posted 1 hour ago
 New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie arrives at  an event in Nashua, N.H., Wednesday, Sept. 17, 2014 at which he campaigned with Republican gubernatorial hopeful Walt Havenstein. Christie has been crisscrossing the country to bolster fellow Republicans as chair of the Republicans Governors Association, with a schedule that also has included key states on the presidential nomination calendar as he considers a run in 2016.

Posted 1 hour ago
 Marines with Weapons Company, 1st Battalion, 7th Marine Regiment, run to security positions after offloading from a CH-53E Super Sea Stallion helicopter during a mission in Helmand province, Afghanistan, April 28, 2014. The Marine Corps abandoned corporal punishment in 1957 and it still turns out battle-ready Marines, columnist Steve Chapman writes.

Posted 2 hours ago
Back to top ^