Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Goshen School Referendum Vote yes to maintain quality schools

Posted on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:00 a.m. | Updated on Oct. 28, 2013 at 6:36 p.m.

I am writing to encourage voters in the Goshen Community Schools district to support the building projects with their yes votes on Tuesday, Nov. 5. I am dismayed with naysayers who choose to focus only on the swimming pool portion of the project, claiming it is frivolous.

For one thing, it makes sense to replace two aging pools (one 50 years old), suffering high maintenance costs, with one pool. But more than that, there are other important aspects being ignored in their attacks on the referendum. More than 40 percent of the project cost is re-purposing existing pool spaces and building additions at Goshen High School and Goshen Middle School for music programming, physical education, special education and cafeteria needs.

At least one letter writer has suggested renters should not vote in the referendum because they do not pay property taxes. This is misleading. While landlords pay property taxes directly, tenants pay them indirectly in the cost of rent. Renters should feel very good about voting to support our schools and students who attend them.

I was pleased to read that the Goshen Chamber of Commerce has endorsed the school referendum. The Chamber understands quality schools are a critical component for a sustainable, livable community. Property tax caps have made it extremely difficult to care for schools in ways of the past. Most homeowners in Goshen have saved far more in property taxes due to tax caps than these building projects will cost them. $1.51/month for a home valued at $75,000, or $3.09/month for a median priced home ($101,500), or even $8.94/month for a home valued at $200,000 are all modest costs to maintain quality schools.

I’m voting yes. I hope a big majority of voters who live in the Goshen Schools district do likewise.

Allan Kauffman

Mayor of Goshen

Recommended for You

In this July 25, 2014 file photo, a black bear in captivity waits for visitors to throw food into his pen at the the Maine Wildlife Park in Gray, Maine.  Money is pouring into Maine to support — and oppose — a referendum to ban three methods of bear hunting. Both sides have raised hundreds of thousands of dollars in an attempt to win the November ballot question.

Posted at 2:56 p.m.
 Democratic candidate for U.S. Senate Michelle Nunn participates in a rally before casting a ballot in early voting at the Adamsville Recreation Center in Fulton County on Wednesday, Oct. 15, 2014 in Atlanta.  Nunn is running against Republican David Perdue.

Posted at 2:12 p.m.
Back to top ^