Elkhart Truth Logo
Friday, April 18, 2014

Goshen School Referendum Vote yes to maintain quality schools

Posted on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:00 a.m. | Updated on Oct. 28, 2013 at 6:36 p.m.

I am writing to encourage voters in the Goshen Community Schools district to support the building projects with their yes votes on Tuesday, Nov. 5. I am dismayed with naysayers who choose to focus only on the swimming pool portion of the project, claiming it is frivolous.

For one thing, it makes sense to replace two aging pools (one 50 years old), suffering high maintenance costs, with one pool. But more than that, there are other important aspects being ignored in their attacks on the referendum. More than 40 percent of the project cost is re-purposing existing pool spaces and building additions at Goshen High School and Goshen Middle School for music programming, physical education, special education and cafeteria needs.

At least one letter writer has suggested renters should not vote in the referendum because they do not pay property taxes. This is misleading. While landlords pay property taxes directly, tenants pay them indirectly in the cost of rent. Renters should feel very good about voting to support our schools and students who attend them.

I was pleased to read that the Goshen Chamber of Commerce has endorsed the school referendum. The Chamber understands quality schools are a critical component for a sustainable, livable community. Property tax caps have made it extremely difficult to care for schools in ways of the past. Most homeowners in Goshen have saved far more in property taxes due to tax caps than these building projects will cost them. $1.51/month for a home valued at $75,000, or $3.09/month for a median priced home ($101,500), or even $8.94/month for a home valued at $200,000 are all modest costs to maintain quality schools.

I’m voting yes. I hope a big majority of voters who live in the Goshen Schools district do likewise.

Allan Kauffman

Mayor of Goshen

This photo provided by the Utah County jail shows Megan Huntsman, who was booked into the Utah County jail on suspicion of killing six of her newborn children over the past decade. Seven dead babies were found in a garage at a Pleasant Grove home where Huntsman lived up until 2011. (AP Photo/Utah County Jail) Courtesy Utah County Jail
Posted on April 17, 2014 at 2:35 p.m.
Posted on April 17, 2014 at 2:26 p.m.
Posted on April 17, 2014 at 2:12 p.m.
Back to top ^