Wednesday, October 22, 2014

C.R. 108 repair Politicians do listen to taxpayers

Posted on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:00 a.m. | Updated on Oct. 28, 2013 at 6:47 p.m.

I would like to respond to comments recently written by Anthony Gaby (Politicians turns deaf ears to taxpayers,” Oct. 14 People’s Forum). Mr. Gaby is correct in stating C.R. 108 was poorly repaired, for which I apologize to those who regularly use this stretch of road between C.R. 1 and C.R. 3. The employee was disciplined and the road was repaired to the satisfaction of area neighbors who have cooperated with the highway department in finding a reasonable solution.

Mr. Gaby asserts that Commissioner Terry Rodino and Sen. Joe Zakas do not listen. Commissioner Rodino apparently did listen, as he drove the road and discussed the matter with me.

Sen. Zakas is not in charge of C.R. 108, the highway department or county government in general. However, Sen. Zakas does, in fact, listen. The senator was part of a delegation of area state legislators who took the time to listen to local officials, toured area roads and bridges, and studied income and expenditures of street and highway departments. Sen. Zakas saw for himself the need, listened to concerns and voted in favor of legislation, not raising taxes, but making sure more gas tax funds go to roads and less to other state expenditures. The net result for Elkhart County is additional $1,300,000 for roads effective July 1, 2013.

Thanks for listening, Joe.

Jeff Taylor

Elkhart County highway manager

Recommended for You

Back to top ^