Saturday, October 25, 2014

People’s forum: Government officials should be public servants

Posted on Oct. 27, 2013 at 1:00 a.m.

Government

First of all, I want to thank Sen. Dan Coats and Sen. Joe Donnelly for voting to end the government shutdown and preventing the United States from defaulting and sending our country into financial chaos.

Next, when elections are held next year, I hope the voters in Congressional Districts 2 and 3 will remember that Jackie Walorski and Marlin Stutzman voted to continue the government shutdown and send our country into default.

Mr. Stutzman arrogantly said, “We’re not going to be disrespected. We have to get something out of this and I don’t know what that even is.”

Well, Mr. Stutzman, respect, as well as trust, is something that has to be earned. It doesn’t come with the job.

Contrary to all the rhetoric spewed by Ms. Walorski and Mr. Stutzman, the only representing they do is to represent the special interests of those entities that bought their election. They do not represent the people in their districts, their state or the citizens of the United States. If you want respect, you need to earn it. If you want to be called “representatives”, then you need to truly be a public servant and represent us all.

Finally, for the thousands of government employees that were furloughed, there are thousands more that are contract employees who are supporting staff for the various agencies that were shut down. They will not receive the wages they lost during the shutdown. They are the real losers in this entire morass.

Jean Barton

Elkhart