Saturday, August 23, 2014

Gun safety Support the Second Amendment and gun safety

Posted on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:00 a.m. | Updated on Oct. 9, 2013 at 5:47 p.m.

Growing up with firearms, the issue of gun control is very important to me. I grew up in a very Republican family from my parents to my grandparents, to my aunts and uncles. Growing up with such a Republican family, I have come to appreciate and respect firearms — particularly with my grandfather, whom I have spent countless hours with enjoying shooting firearms. I also plan on owing firearms when I am older and plan on teaching my children gun safety just as I was taught. With the House Resolution 1365 I think it will drastically reduce gun related accidents with children whose parents haven’t been responsible enough to teach them gun safety.

I am also concerned about the issue of gun safety because I believe it will determine how far lawmakers go with firearms restrictions. I know plenty of people who are already terrified that the government is going to take their guns away. This in turn makes it almost impossible to be able to actually enjoy going shooting anymore because everybody is trying to stockpile ammunition. So that way not only is it extremely difficult to find ammunition but when one does, it is ridiculously expensive. I think this a is big step in helping the government to stop trying to put restrictions on firearms.

This is why I encourage people to keep supporting gun safety. I hope that Americans will continue to support the Second Amendment so that I and others may continue to enjoy our firearms without fear that they may be stripped away.

Blake Bowdoin

Elkhart