Wednesday, July 30, 2014

UNemployment U.S. Army veteran: Why am I not getting hired?

Posted on Sepa. 18, 2013 at 1:00 a.m. | Updated on Sepp. 18, 2013 at 6:12 p.m.

I am an unemployed U.S. Army veteran. I have been unemployed since 2009. We moved to the Elkhart area in 2010, and I was hoping it would be a new start, but instead it has become my worst nightmare. I have applied at several places, with no luck. I am so far behind in my bills, I will probably never catch up. I’m getting desperate.

I know my story is not unique, but it’s quickly becoming a death sentence for me. I have acquired health issues here that I’ve never had before, caused mainly by the stress I am under constantly — the worry and anxiety about my future. I don’t even think I have a future.

This just doesn’t make sense to me. I’m a good worker. Every place I’ve worked my bosses have always told me I was one of the best workers they had. I worked in a warehouse for over nine years, and I still have all my work evaluations — not gleaming, but not bad either.

I can’t go on not working. I have already been on the street and in a homeless shelter for eight months. I can’t go there again. I just can’t.

All I’m asking for is a second chance. I thought everyone deserved a second chance. I just want the chance to prove I can be a productive worker again. And if I’m getting rejected on the basis of a negative credit check, that’s not fair either. I can’t pay my bills if I don’t make any money.

I only have one question to ask: If you’re hiring, why not hire me? I’m here. I’m willing to work any day any time, any hours. Isn’t that what you’re looking for? Then hire me. Please. I won’t let you down.

Susan Gratton

Osceola

Posted at 6:51 p.m.
 Belhaven, N.C., Mayor Adam O'Neal, left, walked to Washington, D.C., to draw attention to state leaders who won't accept new Medicaid funding under the Affordable Care Act.

Posted at 5:42 p.m.
Back to top ^