Monday, October 20, 2014

UNemployment U.S. Army veteran: Why am I not getting hired?

Posted on Sept. 18, 2013 at 1:00 a.m. | Updated on Sept. 18, 2013 at 6:12 p.m.

I am an unemployed U.S. Army veteran. I have been unemployed since 2009. We moved to the Elkhart area in 2010, and I was hoping it would be a new start, but instead it has become my worst nightmare. I have applied at several places, with no luck. I am so far behind in my bills, I will probably never catch up. I’m getting desperate.

I know my story is not unique, but it’s quickly becoming a death sentence for me. I have acquired health issues here that I’ve never had before, caused mainly by the stress I am under constantly — the worry and anxiety about my future. I don’t even think I have a future.

This just doesn’t make sense to me. I’m a good worker. Every place I’ve worked my bosses have always told me I was one of the best workers they had. I worked in a warehouse for over nine years, and I still have all my work evaluations — not gleaming, but not bad either.

I can’t go on not working. I have already been on the street and in a homeless shelter for eight months. I can’t go there again. I just can’t.

All I’m asking for is a second chance. I thought everyone deserved a second chance. I just want the chance to prove I can be a productive worker again. And if I’m getting rejected on the basis of a negative credit check, that’s not fair either. I can’t pay my bills if I don’t make any money.

I only have one question to ask: If you’re hiring, why not hire me? I’m here. I’m willing to work any day any time, any hours. Isn’t that what you’re looking for? Then hire me. Please. I won’t let you down.

Susan Gratton

Osceola

Recommended for You

Democratic candidates James Lee Witt, left, and Mike Ross, right, watch former President Bill Clinton speak to the crowd during a rally at the train depot in his hometown of Hope, Ark., Saturday, Oct, 18, 2014. Clinton praised all of the democratic candidates up for election and touched on topics such as the Ebola and health care.

Posted at 4:00 p.m.
 n this Oct. 16, 2014, file photo, released by U.S. Customs and Border Protection, U.S. Coast Guard Health Technician Nathan Wallenmeyer, left, and CBP supervisor Sam Ko conduct prescreening measures on a passenger, right, who arrived from Sierra Leone at O'Hare International Airport's Terminal 5 in Chicago. Officials recommend against travel to the West African nations of Liberia, Guinea and Sierra Leone, the epicenter of the epidemic.

Posted at 5:00 p.m.
Back to top ^