Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Affordable Care Act Town hall meeting became a lecture

Posted on Sept. 16, 2013 at 1:00 a.m. | Updated on Sept. 16, 2013 at 5:58 p.m.

I attended the Affordable Care Act meeting Sept. 4. While I received some information about the new law, I was saddened to hear Rep. Charlie Brown’s call for people to “get angry” not once or twice but several times. With all the division that now exists in this country, you would think that our elected officials would be calling for calm and honest debate and compromise instead of asking us to call our elected officials and “raise hell.”

The meeting was completely one-sided and questions could only be asked in writing. This too was unfortunate since questions come to mind as things are discussed, the result being that the “town hall meeting” became a lecture and only limited discussion was allowed.

The gist of the meeting seemed to be the Gov. Mike Pence’s decision not to expand Medicaid to cover the uninsured. This is what Mr. Brown would like us to get mad about. Had I been allowed, I would have asked him just how Indiana would pay for this expansion. I know that the federal government would cover the cost for a few years but eventually that money goes away.

I would love to see Elkhart have true town hall meetings about this new law, where both sides are represented and people could ask questions as they come to mind. I know there are times when things get out of hand at these meetings, but the issue is important and people have a lot of misinformation on both sides. It would also be helpful if our representatives on both sides would set an example of calm and courteous debate.

I applaud our governor’s decision not to expand Medicaid and feel that he is looking out for Hoosiers not only in the short-term but for years to come.

Sandra Weaver

Elkhart

Recommended for You

Back to top ^