Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Tips on how to beat the heat in Elkhart

Posted on July 19, 2013 at 1:00 a.m.

Correspondent Mark Shephard visited the Elkhart YMCA this week and asked, “What are you doing to beat the heat, and do you have any advice for people?”

Luis Montiel, engineer, Elkhart:

“Swimming at the Y for about 10 minutes. I’ll come back in the evening and do it again.” Follow-up question: Has the heat wave been affecting you at all? “No, not really, not too much, because I’m originally from Venezuela. I’m used to this kind of weather. Drink a lot of water, and try to maintain a healthy life. That is the most important. If you maintain a healthy life and drink a lot of water, you can beat the heat.”

Rodney Dale, Elkhart Fire Department chief, Bristol:

“Lots of fluids, and just trying to stay inside in the air conditioning as much as possible — you want to be able to enjoy yourself. Once I get off work I kind of sit around until about 7 p.m. or so, and then I go outside and do some walking into the park, and do some activities.” Follow-up: How is it affecting the fire department, and are you helping out people in town? “More than anything for us, we get out and train really early before the heat gets going, because we don’t know what’s going to happen during the day. We went out to the south side of town and did some things down in the Washington Gardens area, just as far as opening up the hydrant — letting the kids play in the water. Some of those areas are not air-conditioned.”

Denise Demeter, elementary teacher, Elkhart:

“Trying to go to the pool, and stay cool with the kids, go to the beach — just kind of stay cool, make sure you’re hydrated, especially if you’re working outside.” Follow-up question: Being a mom, is it hard when it gets this hot and you’re dealing with kids? “It is, but you just keep them (kids) busy. They like to be outside. I keep them hydrated and I take them to the beach.”

Chad Sage, parts writer, Granger:

“Drink lots of fluids. I like to try and stay close to a lake on Saturdays, and on the weekends when I’m not working. When I’m here, instead of running to beat the heat, I’ve been swimming. You kind of cool down a little bit that way. I gravitate toward the water. The warm water does good for me.”

Sheila Johnson, YMCA minicamp and preschool director, Goshen:

“Swim or stay in the house the whole time, and do indoor activities like laser tag, and go out to eat. We aren’t outside hardly at all.” Follow-up question: How are the kids handling the heat here at camp? “They run out of steam because it’s so warm all of the time, but we put them into the pool extra, and we did a big slip-and-slide yesterday. So we’re trying to keep them nice and cool so they don’t get heat stroke or heat exhaustion.”

Chaz Boyd, Elkhart Central freshman, Elkhart:

“I use a towel to wipe the sweat off, and I try to run to use the wind to blow my face to keep it cool. I stay in shape and drink like a gallon or two (of fluids a day).”