Friday, July 25, 2014

$SUBT_ON$Having a child does not make you a parent$SUBT_OFF$

Posted on July 17, 2013 at 1:00 a.m. | Updated on July 17, 2013 at 6:29 p.m.

I keep thinking of the poor dog that had her face blown away by a firework and the terrible pain she endured until she was euthanized. It is always the children and animals of this world who suffer the most due to stupid, uncaring, insensitive and deranged adults. Parents used to teach their children to be caring, respectful and polite. What has become of the human race? Just because you have a child does not make you a parent. Parents teach right from wrong and how to be caring, polite and respectful of other peoples’ property. They do not let their children do what they want when they want.

Most parents these days are afraid of their children, and well they should be; They are raising monsters, as this incident shows. No matter the age of these children, they have done grievous harm to an animal. How long before it becomes a person they harm?

The owner of the animal should also be held accountable. Obviously, they were not taught anything either. An animal is just as much a responsibility as a child, if not more, as it can’t speak.

I would like to see the state of Indiana step up and start an animal offender’s list, just as there is a sex offender’s list. If people feel it is OK to injure or even kill an animal, the next step is a human being.

My hope is that the police will not let this incident go unresolved and that justice will in some way be obtained for this poor dog.

Joan Mauser

Elkhart