Saturday, November 1, 2014

$SUBT_ON$City has not taken away access to a city park$SUBT_OFF$

Posted on July 17, 2013 at 1:00 a.m. | Updated on July 17, 2013 at 6:29 p.m.

I have been observing a continuing trend in this country that concerns me a great deal. It is prevalent in government, business and in our homes.

The trend is making the U.S. all about us. Elected officials are looking out for the interests of their highest contributors and making sure they have all the benefits they want. Corporations find any means possible to avoid paying taxes and maximizing profits. Citizens are hiding money overseas to avoid paying taxes. We expect the government to take care of us or give us what we want but we don’t want to pay our fair share. Three local examples come to mind — trash fees, sewer fees and the Wellfield Botanic Gardens.

Enough has been said about the trash and sewer fees already.

Regarding the WBG, the site has never been designated a park or under the jurisdiction of the Parks Department. The city has not taken away access to a city park! The site has been transformed into a beautiful masterpiece through a lot of hard work, donations and purchases. The admission fee is small compared to many other gardens and the yearly pass of $35 is a real bargain considering you receive reciprocal admissions to many other gardens throughout the United States and Canada.

I am reminded of a quote by President Kennedy. “Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country.” How I wish we would all take this to heart.

If the trend continues, we will be the ones to destroy this country, not some “enemy” from the outside.

Jean Barton

Elkhart