Friday, October 31, 2014

dog injured Charges should be filed against those responsible

Posted on July 8, 2013 at 1:00 a.m. | Updated on July 8, 2013 at 6:13 p.m.

Saturday’s front-page story was disturbing at the very least, and horrifyingly wrong on several levels (“Firework blows up in dog’s face, forcing Humane Society to kill it”).

It is legal to sell and purchase fireworks in Indiana. My understanding is that it is illegal to use them in Indiana, as confusing as these laws are. Minors are forbidden to purchase fireworks.

Children throwing fireworks at a dog? Witnesses watched this until the animal was critically injured? Where was the supervision, where were the offending children’s parents, and why were charges not made against these children’s parents? Why did the Elkhart police not do their job and make arrests for this incident? Obviously, several laws were broken.

It’s OK because it was just a dog? Can anyone imagine the agony this animal (someone’s pet) suffered until it was put out of its misery?

Some family somewhere is in mourning for something that never should have happened.

I am personally aware of crimes being committed (persons stealing scrap metal from businesses and properties near my office) and the Elkhart police let every single one of them go, with warnings. Huh? Do they think these thieves and criminals stopped committing these crimes? The Elkhart police did not do their job then, and did not do their job in this instance. It’s reprehensible.

The witnesses saw who did this. Charges should be filed against the children,and several charges should be leveled against the parents.

Al Eicken

Elkhart