Saturday, November 1, 2014

Freedom Opposing government at heart of being American

Posted on May 25, 2013 at 1:00 a.m. | Updated on May 25, 2013 at 3:31 p.m.

I understand that one of the tenets of America is open and free debate and disagreement. Whether you are for or against gun rights is a part of that freedom. Yet when some of our fellow citizens condemn Sheriff Brad Rogers for stating he will not enforce a governmental edict that violates our nation’s Constitution, I am perplexed and worried. Apparently those critical of anyone opposing the government’s right to act as it pleases have forgotten, or ignore, the “We the People” component of what makes this country extraordinary.

World history sadly records countless examples of people who joined the goose-steppers and acted without reservation because “I was only following orders,” or they blindly accepted dictatorship. When our own people want those in authority to “do their job” and impose and enforce whatever the government wants to do to us, we have abandoned reason completely. Too many people are hoping our law enforcement members swear to serve and protect the government and its power to force its wishes on us. God help us.

Phil Keller

Elkhart