Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Recommended For You

faith and homosexuality History has proven arbiters of biblical morality wrong

Posted on May 22, 2013 at 1:00 a.m. | Updated on May 22, 2013 at 6:12 p.m.

Pastor Mike Fisher says that life would be so much easier if society could just “restrict the rights of the immoral to give full rights to the moral” (“Acceptance of homosexuality sends wrong message,” April 16). What an audacious statement! Of course, Pastor Mike, Bob Immel and Evan Martin would be more than happy to be the arbiters of this restriction of rights and would define what is moral!

You arrogance frightens me, pastor! You are fighting the same battle as those who would have used biblical reasoning to force nature to change to prove Galileo wrong. That didn’t work out too well. The Earth does orbit the sun, after all. Mother Nature trumped man’s flawed interpretation of the Bible.

You join the bigots who used biblical passages to support the “restriction of the rights of the immoral” and to impose slavery on blacks and sparked a Civil War that claimed the lives of 650,000 Americans. That also didn’t work so well. Slavery went away because it is wrong — no matter what the Hebrew Scriptures say.

You believe Christianity is the only way to salvation. This ignores billions worldwide who do not share your belief. From Jews to Muslims and Buddhists (who managed to construct a successful moral code to navigate this world 500 years before Christ), all of these are marginalized in your tidy little world. The interesting part is that it will not matter how much we discuss this; your mind is firmly closed.

I am not trying to censor you or infringe on your First Amendment rights. I am encouraging others, who may also find your words repugnant, to resist your efforts to “restrict the rights of the immoral to give full rights to the moral.” Your ideas are frightening and you are wrong!

Ken Clayborn

Elkhart

Posted at 4:53 p.m.
 Cornell College students listen as Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., a Democratic presidential hopeful, speaks during a campaign stop, Wednesday, Dec. 5, 2007, in Mount Vernon, Iowa.

Posted at 4:49 p.m.

Posted on Sept. 30, 2014 at 3:49 p.m.
Back to top ^