Elkhart Truth Logo
Thursday, April 24, 2014

Gun Rally I will stand shoulder to shoulder with Rogers to defend our rights

Greg Eby writes about the Second Ammendment.
Posted on May. 13, 2013 at 1:00 a.m.

My wife and I were privileged to attend the recent gun rights rally in South Bend. We were greatly encouraged by Elkhart County Sheriff Brad Rogers and U.S. Rep. Jackie Walorski. These two public officials understand that the Second Amendment gives the Bill of Rights its teeth.

From what I have read in the People’s Forum, there are some who take offense to Sheriff Roger’s assertion that he will not enforce any additional legislation that infringes upon the rights of gun owners. Rogers has taken a stand that requires courage, resolve and fidelity to the founding documents of our republic. While some might consider anti-gun legislation passed by Congress to be the “law of the land,” the United States Constitution and the Bill of Rights are the supreme law of the land, period. The Constitution supersedes legislative despotism. Anyone who objectively studies the original sources written by the founders of this country understands exactly the authorial intent behind the Second Amendment. Forget about the leftist propaganda spewed by the media and secular education when it comes to the Constitution and Bill of Rights. Take a class like Constitution 101 from Hillsdale College and read original source documents. The founding fathers were embroiled in a war with the authoritarian regime of King George III, and their struggle was an attempt to throw off the shackles of tyranny. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to discern the context within which the Second Amendment was conceived. And no, It had nothing to do with duck hunting!

I am proud to call Brad Rogers my sheriff, and I will stand shoulder to shoulder with him in defending our rights as American citizens.

Greg Eby

Elkhart

Back to top ^