Having just read Rev. Mike Fisher’s diatribe against homosexuality, (“Acceptance of homosexuality sends wrong message,” April 16) I would like to raise a few questions for the pastor:
1. Have you personally known any homosexual persons?
2. Have you honestly listened to any such persons and tried to understand their stories regarding inherent sexual struggles?
3. Have you ever listened to parents of homosexual persons and offered them something other than condemning Bible verses?
4. Besides multi-thousand-year-old biblical proof-texts that you use to condemn, have you ever read modern day scientifically researched documents by medical and physiological experts who have determined that homosexuality is not a choice but an example of a normal and natural expression of sexuality?
5. Are there other areas of genuine importance to you today in which you accept unscientific dictates of cultures three to four thousand years old as instructions for living?
6, If you regard Bible verses as “the law” regarding homosexuality, then why not adhere to all the laws, e.g. the various meat/food laws, stoning of blasphemers, killing sons who curse parents (Lev 20:9), enslaving foreigners (Lev 25:444-46), or banning the blemished or physically limited person from participating in religious rites (Lev 21.16)? If ancient texts from thousands of years ago are valid for ethics, why reference sexual laws only?
7. The obstructionist anti-science stance of the church over the course of hundreds of years — from Copernicus, Galileo, Darwin, Newton, etc., all of whom faced rejection, deprivation, torture, and even death due to their scientific discoveries — indicates that it behooves the church to give humble attention to medical science before pontificating too vociferously on homosexuality as sin.