Tuesday, October 21, 2014

As product of humans, Bible prone to their biases

Kenton Monjon writes about the Bible.
Posted on April 25, 2013 at 1:00 a.m. | Updated on April 25, 2013 at 5:14 p.m.

Reading Bob Immel’s comments on same-sex marriages (“Advocates’ assertions are ridiculous and exaggerated,” April 14), I realized that I must respond as someone who has not just read the Bible and cherry-picked the ignorant, outdated and stupid passages, but as someone who has actually studied the various “books.”

A pastor once told me you could quote the Bible and “prove” any point on any subject due to the many interpretations. The intellectually challenged do this all the time with the caveat that it is God’s word. Case closed. Ignorance prevails.

The Bible is a collection of “books” by many human authors. Humans reveal not only their cultural backgrounds (think thousands of years ago) but all of the bias and prejudices and misinformation of bygone eras.

This collection of books was selected by a committee, which doubtlessly chose material confirming their personal religious biases and understandings at that time in history.

Only the truly misinformed consider the Bible, the Koran, the Book of Mormon and other such works as the literal Word of God. In my studies, I have found this collection of writings often inspiring and just as often filled with nonsense. To take the ignorant passages as the literal word of God would make God very ignorant, indeed.

As you fire up your grill to make burnt offerings to the gods, remember that according to Leviticus it is an abomination to eat pork or any seafood that does not have fins. It is also an abomination to eat meat that still has blood in it.

According to Leviticus, if your child curses you, you have the right to put your child to death (Leviticus, 20:9). I would not suggest this defense in court. Even if it is the “Word of God,” ignorance is not an acceptable defense.

Kenton Monjon

Elkhart

Recommended for You

Posted on Oct. 20, 2014 at 4:18 p.m.
Posted on Oct. 20, 2014 at 3:21 p.m.
Posted on Oct. 20, 2014 at 3:01 p.m.
Back to top ^