Saturday, December 20, 2014

Does Goshen have a violence problem?

People on the street talk about gun violence in Goshen.
Posted on April 19, 2013 at 1:00 a.m. | Updated on April 19, 2013 at 5:37 p.m.

Correspondent Mark Shephard visited Goshen this week and asked, “Teen gang shootings have put Goshen on alert once again. Do you believe Goshen has a gun violence problem, and if so, how should its citizens and institutions come together to correct the problem?”

Stephanie Hollenberg, waitress, Goshen:

“I think our society has gun problems. I don’t think it’s just Goshen. I went to Bethany Christian, so I wasn’t really exposed to that violence and whatnot, but, hearing about it, certainly there is a problem. I don’t know what is the cause of it, or what can really be done. It’s really hard. I know that places like the Boys and Girls Club are trying to create safe spaces for teens to be while their parents are still working or whatnot, but what I’ve found for myself is that having adults, and teachers, and professors and family that can really mentor me and hold me accountable and whatnot really helps. So how do we be in a relationship with our teens and our young people to help them along?”

Ramon Ramos, manufacturing, Goshen:

“I think the White House and the senators are very responsible, because in the schools there are a lot of issues, and Goshen has a problem. There are a lot of problems in the schools. I don’t like guns. We need help from the White House and every state. They need to care about the guns. They need to pay attention to that.”

Nora Morales, parent and volunteer, Goshen:

“It’s not a problem. It’s not something that has been reported to happen on a regular basis in comparison to other areas. I do think that parents need to be made aware and educated, and for kids who are involved in these kinds of activities, I think parents need to be made aware that their kids are involved and educate them. I think the schools also need to realize that while it’s not a parent during school time, I think that maybe because they have the captured audience there, that they should be addressing those concerns and issues with the students, and also making an outreach effort to touch the parents as well.”

Rich Meyer, director of social service agency, Goshen

“I think our whole nation has a gun violence problem. It’s not confined to Goshen. It’s not particularly worse or better here. It’s nationwide, and it’s exemplified by having 90 percent of the population ready for more background checks and more limits on the size of clips, and Congress still can’t move on it.”

Nick Bouwman, cook’s assistant, Goshen:

“I think our world has a ‘lack of love’ problem. I don’t have a whole lot to say specifically about gun violence in the area. And as far as what to do about it, I think that rests in all of our hands, I wouldn’t put it on the city, and I don’t know what the city would do. I think the direction our world is going in general has a lot to do with technology and the way we let it control us, and the pace of our lives has gotten faster and faster. And I don’t know if that has any connection to gun violence, but I think it puts our world in a place where we don’t want to go, and I think some of these types of problems can be linked to that.” Follow-up: So when you say “technology,” do you mean entertainment technology, or what kind of technology? “Largely the internet — spending our time in virtual worlds, video games, and the internet and TV — mainly that’s what I’m referring to.”

Recommended for You

Posted 1 hour ago
####_LOC_FOUNDATION_JFS

Posted on Dec. 19, 2014 at 1:34 p.m.
Back to top ^