Sunday, October 26, 2014

Medicaid ideology (and elusive answers)

Howey talks about the ideology of Indiana politicians.
Posted on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:00 a.m.

Brian Howey

INDIANAPOLIS — After listening to Gov. Mike Pence and legislative leaders at the calendar halfway point of the Indiana General Assembly, one thing is clear: We have a lot of ideology and lack a lot of metrics and answers.

And I’ll give you the prime example: Pence and Republicans like Senate President Pro Tem David Long and Speaker Brian Bosma are opting for the Healthy Indiana Plan as opposed to the expansion of Medicaid under the Affordable Care Act (otherwise known as “Obamacare”).

While these Republicans all are quick to say that Medicaid expansion will almost assuredly be too expensive, no one can say what HIP will cost.

In the past two weeks, a parade of conservative Republican governors — all greatly hostile to Obamacare – have made the controversial call to expand Medicaid during a three-year period when the federal government will pick up 100 percent of the costs. Ohio’s John Kasich, Michigan’s Rick Snyder, Florida’s Rick Scott and, on Wednesday, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, himself a potential presidential rival of Pence, have begrudgingly opted for Medicaid expansion.

As Christie put it, “Let me be clear: I am no fan of the Affordable Care Act. I think it is wrong for New Jersey and for America. I fought against it and believe, in the long run, it will not achieve what it promises. However, it is now the law of the land. I will make all my judgments as governor based on what is best for New Jerseyans.”

“This makes sense for the physical and fiscal health of Michigan,” Snyder said in a Feb. 6 statement.

Pence, however, described it in political terms, saying Medicaid expansion is “where the government says, ‘Here’s a baby elephant. We’ll agree to pay for the hay for the next five years,’” Pence said, adding, “Washington is broke, with more than $16 trillion in national debt.”

Indiana Senate President Pro Tempore David Long noted that while State Sen. Pat Miller’s bill to expand the Healthy Indiana Plan passed the Senate, no one knows what the cost of HIP will be, even while denouncing Medicaid expansion in general.

But key Republicans view opting into the Medicaid expansion with the feds picking up 100 percent of the costs through 2020 as a slippery slope.

“What happens in three years?” Long queried when asked why Indiana wouldn’t opt in for the three years when the federal government picks up 100 percent of the cost. “You continue to see reports of the costs of this program going way above what they were. How are you going to pay for that?”

I asked Long about the scenario that Republican House Public Health Chairman Ed Clere raised earlier this month: The factory worker father and the retail clerk mother who stay off welfare, but have little or no health coverage. A catastrophic health event bankrupts them.

“That’s a tough question, but I don’t think it’s unfair,” Long answered. “That’s why people say we’ve got to take a look at it. To jump into the pool right now, without a better idea, is something we have to be very cautious of. I’m not saying never, either. We don’t have enough answers.”

The problem with HIP is while it serves about 46,000 people, more than that are on a waiting list. The Medicaid expansion roll has been put in the 400,000 range.

House Minority Leader Scott Pelath, D-Michigan City, said, “We can’t afford not to do this. It is wildly expensive to keep sending people to the emergency room and it’s reckless not to proceed in a way that is already provided for us by law. There are people against it simply because they don’t like the President.”

Pence views Medicaid as a “broken” system “rife with fraud and waste.” He calls Health Indiana Plan “innovative” and is “good for the fiscal health of the state” even though no one can project the costs.

The cynics suggest that Pence is making a political decision to position himself for 2016.

The Indiana General Assembly and Pence may be at the calendar halfway point in the 2013 budget session, but in reality, the need for so much more information — and open, inquisitive minds to go with it — became abjectly evident on Wednesday.

Howey, a former Elkhart Truth reporter, publishes at www.howeypolitics.com.

Recommended for You

Emmy Gibson, 28, was booked into and released from the Elkhart County jail on Thursday, Oct. 23. Gibson, fired as junior varsity girls soccer coach at Concord High School, was charged Oct. 17 with child seduction.
Posted at 7:45 p.m.

Posted on Oct. 25, 2014 at 11:59 a.m.
Posted on Oct. 25, 2014 at 4:22 p.m.
Back to top ^