Friday, December 19, 2014

Dangerous intersection Four-way stop at C.R. 11 and C.R. 24 would eliminate issues

Posted on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:00 a.m.

I am writing to express my concerns about the dangerously misleading intersection at C.R. 11 and C.R. 24, located right in front of Concord Junior High School. Making this very intersection a four-way stop would most certainly eliminate the dangerous vibe that drivers must overcome to pass through this area. Having taken on this traffic hassle many times, this issue is not only a safety hazard for parents and other citizens, but also for the students, faculty and bus drivers of CJHS. Having witnessed many close calls in this area, I felt the need to bring this issue to the public’s attention.

By making this intersection a four-way stop, it will most certainly eliminate all the stress that drivers have while trekking through this road barrier. I’ve noticed many uneasy drivers trying to communicate across the street to decide whose turn it is to pull off, and while doing so they are trying to look both ways for oncoming traffic. As one can see, this intersection can cause numerous problems and many stressed-out drivers.

Given the lack of stops signs, this is not the only problem worth addressing with this traffic hazard. Another blatant issue that deserves to be recognized is the speed limit leading up to this intersection. Coming over the hill, C.R. 11 has a speed limit of 50 miles per hour. C.R. 11 is right outside of Concord Junior High. With a 50-mph speed limit through that very intersection, the stopped cars on each side of C.R. 24 have a hard time judging the amount of time they have to make it through the intersection and/or turn onto C.R. 11. This additional problem only adds to the stress level of local drivers.

Taylor Miller

Goshen