Thursday, July 24, 2014

elkhart community schools Thanks for closing schools in cold weather for kids’ safety

Posted on Feb. 3, 2013 at 12:00 a.m.

Elkhart Community Schools closed due to cold weather. Expected high of 9 degrees and current wind chill is minus-13 degrees.

This reminds me of a frigid day long ago, walking the distance from Mary Beck School to Pierre Moran with a temperature of minus-12 and a wind chill of minus-60. Back then girls did not wear slacks to school. I had a scarf around my face, but I’m not sure if there was a hat. My friend Wanda Lang and I trekked the snow-filled sidewalk paths to our appointed destination. To warm up for a few minutes, we ducked into DeBoni’s Bakery, strategically located across from Roosevelt School on West Indiana Avenue near Prairie Street.

Onward we continued down Prairie as our labored steps moved slower with each icicle-covered breath. As I grew tired, Wanda grew concerned. With her insistent encouragement we arrived at the edge of the school’s football field. Life seemed to slow to a crawl and all I wanted to do was lie down in the snow and go to sleep. Alarmed, Wanda began yelling at me to keep going. With the school building looming large, Wanda’s words were unrelenting.

Yes, we made it. The nurse allowed her a blanket and a cot, and I — I was directed to walk the halls.

Time had no meaning. Perhaps 30 minutes passed. Satisfying the staff, I too was given two blankets, a hot water bottle for my feet and a cot.

There was this moment long ago where all could have ended for me, yet it didn’t. God has blessed me with a life worth living. I am truly grateful for the enduring warmth of love received from all those who care.

Thank you, ECS, for closing your doors so that all may be safe and warm.

Linda McCreary

Elkhart