Wednesday, July 30, 2014

On outdoor leaf burning and immigration

Readers talk about leaf burning and immigration.
Posted on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:00 a.m.

Our regular Friday look at reader comment on eTruth.com. All quotes are verbatim:

STORY: “Outdoor burning concerns Dunlap residents” (Jan. 20).

READ IT HERE: http://is.gd/X7jcKw

blkmnly: I saw a movie once. The little boy had an immune system issue. So, they kept him in a plastic bubble. The boy in the plastic bubble. I think it was a Sienfeld episode too. Anyway, my point is that you should put yourself away in a plastic bubble. That way, you can control the climate, the air quality etc...blah, blah, blah.

I wonder too, do these people drive? Do they realize the harm they are causing the environment? Do they use a lawn mower in the summer? Leaf blower and snow blower?

Clean up your own house, whiners...

poppage: Wow, I’m really amazed to see such negativity here. I moved to the area 11 years ago and was astounded by the heavy smell of burned leaves in the fall, especially when driving through south east side of Elkhart and through Dunlap. Pretty amazingly strong. More power to those working to clean-up the air so we can all live with less threats to our health. There are people still burning trash in Elkhart and Goshen. I live in a neighborhood where, for some reason, a well-to-do person resorts to burning trash at night, in a concrete incinerator that’s unattended. The smoke, full of off gassing from burned plastic, fills our neighborhood. This is especially frustrating for those of us who enjoy leaving our windows open on cool summer nights. By the time we realize what’s going on, the house if full of noxious smoke. It’s especially bad given there are lots of kids in our neighborhood. So, no, we’re not whiners — we’re concerned citizens and concerned neighbors who care about the health of our families and about the air we breathe.

Public health codes exist to help all of us stay healthy. It’s the same reason we have laws against crime.

IndyMo: Simple; Get enough people to sign a petition requesting annexation into the City so that you get the city’s anti-burning law AND lower-cost trash & leaf removal. “OHH, BUT MY TAXES WILL GO UP DRASTICALLY”, y’say? Well, there’s the rub in’it?

deverett: Burning garbage, trash and plastic is already against the law just as is selling unpasteurized milk. Our sheriff enforces the laws that he likes, the others not so much.

STORY: “Indiana lawmakers look at easing immigration restrictions” (Jan. 19).

READ IT HERE:http://is.gd/GsZ8rA

FreeAmerican: So in other words...IF the majority of legal citizens wanted to start robbing banks all the time the government would just close their eyes to it and finally just pass a bill that will allow it.

I am sorry but this is just asking more and more illegals to come here. Why shouldn’t they, the government is putting out more and more welcome mats for them.

deeogee: Just what Indiana needs. Another magnet to draw more illegals here that we will have to support.

jazzaly: UR JUST A PATHETIC RACIST... JUST BY READING THIS POST RIGHT AWAY U CAN TELL UR A RACIST WHITE AMERICAN.. ITS INCREDIBLE HOW THIS WORLD IS BECOMING INTO... SO WHAT IF THEY CANT SPEAK YOUR LANGUAGE... THEY NOT DOING ANY HARM TO YOU.. ARE THEY? HOW ARE THEY AFFECTING YOU? I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW??? EVEYONE SAYS “ OH THEY ARE TAKING OUR JOBS”.. WHAT JOBS? YOU LAZY AMERICANS DONT WANT TO WORK. JUST WANT TO LIVE OUT OF UNEMPLOMENT AND WELFARE..

Posted at 6:51 p.m.
 Belhaven, N.C., Mayor Adam O'Neal, left, walked to Washington, D.C., to draw attention to state leaders who won't accept new Medicaid funding under the Affordable Care Act.

Posted at 5:42 p.m.
Back to top ^