Thursday, October 23, 2014

alcohol sales It’s time to end the ban on Sunday alcohol sales

Jason Reed says it's time to end ban on Sunday alcohol sales
Posted on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:00 a.m.

I recently shared these thoughts in an email to my elected representatives in Indianapolis, Rep. Tim Neese and Sen. Joe Zakas:

Last Sunday, in order to cook my “famous” pasta Bolognese, I needed to add an entire bottle of dry red wine. I was out of dry red, so I had to borrow one from my neighbor because I can’t buy a bottle of wine on Sunday. I can’t underscore how ridiculous it is to say that. It also would have been great to have a glass or two of wine with my wonderful Italian meal, but at least I was able to make my sauce.

I am fairly knowledgeable about the push for Sunday sales, and also the push-back from liquor store lobbyists. Please, tell the liquor store lobby that if their members don’t want to be open on Sunday, no one is forcing them to be. I will be glad to go to a grocery store, pharmacy or convenience store to purchase my alcohol.

Why should the package store lobbyists run the table when the public clearly disagrees with them? Your job is to be the voice for your constituents, not a pawn for some high-priced lobbyist wearing a $10,000 watch.

Take a moment to appreciate the flip-side of the liquor store lobbyists. Supermarkets, gas stations and shopkeepers around the state have allocated square footage to alcohol sales. On Sundays, this space becomes worthless, or worse, a liability to the owner. Why penalize them? These retail business owners provide more jobs and income to your constituents than liquor store owners do. Please support them.

It’s time to end this ridiculous ban. Please pass legislation that would allow Sundays to become just a normal day for alcohol sales.

Jason Reed

Elkhart

Recommended for You

In this July 25, 2014 file photo, a black bear in captivity waits for visitors to throw food into his pen at the the Maine Wildlife Park in Gray, Maine.  Money is pouring into Maine to support — and oppose — a referendum to ban three methods of bear hunting. Both sides have raised hundreds of thousands of dollars in an attempt to win the November ballot question.

Posted on Oct. 22, 2014 at 2:56 p.m.
 Democratic candidate for U.S. Senate Michelle Nunn participates in a rally before casting a ballot in early voting at the Adamsville Recreation Center in Fulton County on Wednesday, Oct. 15, 2014 in Atlanta.  Nunn is running against Republican David Perdue.

Posted on Oct. 22, 2014 at 2:12 p.m.
Back to top ^