Wednesday, July 23, 2014

pets Pet licenses should be more accessible

Bartlett writes about pet licensing in Elkhart, sign wavers and school shootings.
Posted on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:00 a.m.

First, I know of a few things that are worse than the “wavers” along the sidewalks, but I’ll let the city fathers figure that out.

Second, armed guards, unless they stay by the entrances at all times, cannot and will not keep someone from breaking in to a school. Also, why are the students and teachers not instructed to do what federal government workers do? What is that, you ask? Well, it is running in any direction, causing confusion, throwing things. They do not go into a dark, locked room or huddle in a closet or bathroom and wait for the gunman to come in and get them all at one time.

Oh, I forgot my third thing: Congratulations to 662 pets and their owners who are now legal in the city. What about the other hundreds you see in your neighborhood without licenses? Elkhart does not have the manpower or the money to check every household. Therefore, a lot of people let their pets roam without rabies shots.

We need a place where you can get a shot for your pet without having to go to a vet and spending money on an office call, plus the shot, plus the license. These people who are stretching their dollars between housing, food and utilities are not about to spend almost $100 to make their pets legals. We who have paid should get our money back!

Why have a law that isn’t and can’t be enforced? Look in the classifieds and every day you can count many cats, kittens, puppies and dogs for sale and you know that many of them are not going to get licenses.

By the way — in their defense, some people do not know about the law.

Lucy Bartlett

Elkhart

The U.S. Capitol building, seen through the columns on the steps of the Supreme Court in Washington.

Posted at 5:00 p.m.
 A Malaysian air crash investigator takes pictures in a wheat field at the crash site of Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 near the village of Hrabove, eastern Ukraine, Tuesday, July 22, 2014. A team of Malaysian investigators visited the site along with members of the OSCE mission in Ukraine for the first time since the air crash last week.

Posted at 4:00 p.m.

Posted on July 22, 2014 at 3:00 p.m.
Back to top ^