Monday, September 1, 2014

GUNS Weapons available to public should be limited

Monti writes about reasonable limits on public access to guns.
Posted on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:00 a.m.

In my teens, I belonged to the Junior NRA and learned how to handle firearms. I not only learned this skill, but in competition I ranked among the top marksmen in my age group. It was a skill I am glad to have learned and I have the NRA to thank for teaching it to me. However, I find the NRA’s opposition to limitations on the capacity of firearms or magazines available to the public to be more than a little disturbing.

The NRA advocates the need for the public not only to defend our homes but to be able rise up in rebellion against our elected government. It says we need to be able to face off against not only criminals but our own military (and police) with equivalent weaponry—automatic and semi-automatics therefore are necessary to preserve our “democracy.” I thought we had the vote for that.

Frankly, all that high-powered weaponry is not needed. We’ve got the ballot box and the right to assemble and protest — and if that isn’t enough, one bullet in the hands of a skilled marksman is all that is needed to bring down an intruder or the enemy. If a guy needs a semiautomatic with no limit on the size of magazine he can carry, then I’d say he’s a pathetic excuse for a man and no marksman.

Just what part of “well regulated” militia does the NRA and its supporters not understand?

The Second Amendment says “well regulated” militia, not just any Tom, Dick and Harry.

And while we’re at it, we should go back to funding mental institutions rather than let the insane continue to walk our streets without medical intervention. A limit on the violence in video games wouldn’t be a bad idea, either.

Gloria Monti

Middlebury

This undated image posted on Wednesday, Aug. 27, 2014, by the Raqqa Media Center of the Islamic State group, a Syrian opposition group, which has been verified and is consistent with other AP reporting, shows a fighter from the Islamic State group, armed with a knife and an automatic weapon, next to captured Syrian army soldiers and officers, following the battle for the Tabqa air base, in Raqqa, Syria. A U.N. commission accused the extremist Islamic State organization of committing crimes against humanity as pictures emerged of the extremists' bloody takeover of the air base.

Posted on Aug. 31, 2014 at 4:00 p.m.
 A man closes off an entrance to the Last Stop outdoor shooting range Wednesday, Aug. 27, 2014, in White Hills, Ariz. Gun range instructor Charles Vacca was accidentally killed Monday, Aug. 25, 2014 at the range by a 9-year-old with an Uzi submachine gun.

Posted on Aug. 31, 2014 at 3:00 p.m.
Back to top ^