Tuesday, November 25, 2014

election 2012 Reader’s heart broken by election

Posted on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:00 a.m.

Mr. President, unlike your wife, I have always been proud of my country. I am a 60-year-old white single female, so I realize that I am not of any interest to you. I have never failed to vote in any election. In fact, I ran for elected local office three times. I won twice and lost my third attempt by 13 votes.

During my tenure as a local bureaucrat, I strove to be ethical and honest with the public I served. I had the honor of working with some very dedicated and intelligent public employees. However, I also worked alongside some people who were much more interested in attaining power than doing the job they were elected to do. I am saddened to say that quite many of them continue to be in elected positions to this very day.

My heart was broken by this election because I believe your victory was gained by deception, distraction and a total lack of respect for the political process and the office of the president. Money and evasion should not be the deciding factors in any election. Honest debate and an honest exchange of ideas should be the basis upon which the voters make their choice. We were not presented with honesty or ideas in this election. We were fed a constant diet of “it was President Bush’s fault” and “We are checking into the Fast and Furious and Benghazi.”

I have not lost heart in the goodness of the American people, but I do not and will not credit you with that goodness. It has been part of our national fabric since before you entered into the picture, and despite your attempts to control or dampen them. Our hearts, strength and goodness will survive even your second term as president.

Becca Briscoe

Goshen