Monday, September 22, 2014

email scam Be wary of emails asking for account

Posted on Nov. 13, 2012 at 12:00 a.m.

I’m sending you this letter as a public service to your readers. Recently my email was hacked. The people responsible got all my contact information and contacted everyone, saying that I was mugged in Spain and lost my wallet, credit cards and everything and to please send money. It was a scam! Fortunately, everyone I know knew that I was alive and well here at home in Elkhart and didn’t send any money. I began receiving calls immediately asking me what was going on.

Nearly 50 people were listed on my contact list; I spent all weekend calling people not to send money! After talking to the police and O’s Computers, I surmised how the hackers got my information. They sent me an email telling me to update my email account. When I clicked on it, a perfect Yahoo web page popped up looking exactly like Yahoo’s email home page. It told me to login to my “new and updated” email account using my user name and password. From there they had everything.

I’m warning people if you get any emails from Yahoo, go to yahoo.com to verify it is a legitimate update. And, if you get hacked, at least change your Yahoo password ASAP. If you opt to change your email address, then you will have to notify everyone your know of the new address, including eBay, Amazon, Paypal, banks and every other business you deal with online.

Daniel Roll

Elkhart

Back to top ^