Friday, November 28, 2014

Shelly Jackson (Truth Photo By Mark Shephard) (Mark Shephard)

Ann Lira (Truth Photo By Mark Shephard) (Mark Shephard)

Rick Moreno (Truth Photo By Mark Shephard) (Mark Shephard)

Ron Slagle (Truth Photo By Mark Shephard) (Mark Shephard)

Brandon Laskowski (Truth Photo By Mark Shephard) (Mark Shephard)
Lessons from the 2012 election

Posted on Nov. 10, 2012 at 12:00 a.m.

Elkhart Truth correspondent Mark Shephard visited Simonton Lake on S.R. 19 in Elkhart this week and asked, “Now that this election cycle is over, what lessons and memories do you think will resonate with the nation as we move forward?”

Shelly Jackson, fitness entrepreneur, Elkhart:

“That the definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results, and for four years we’ve waited for results and haven’t accomplished many, so therefore we’re going to continue down that same road. So I think the fact that no change means we’re going to look back in four years and go no change.”

Ron Slagle, transmission shop manager, Elkhart:

“The president is elected the first time, he’ll run two terms most of the time. My opinion it takes two terms for him to actually get much done. We’re not going to succeed in four years and have an awful lot of accomplishments. So I do believe it’s going to take him four more years.” Follow-up: What are some of the lessons that people have learned? “My take on this is Obama is more for the poor people. He’s taking care of the poor people better, the immigrants better, than anybody believes the Republicans would. And I do believe that’s why he got re-elected.”

Brandon Laskowski, delivery driver, South Bend:

“One lesson that I can take away from this is that the Constitution can be ignored for four years and that president still gets re-elected. No matter who you are as president, I just can’t believe that you can go against the Constitution and still have a job at the end of the day. There are so many issues. I know when George Bush did that first stimulus package, I was totally against it. It was awful, horrible. And then Obama did the very same thing. I don’t think that was the right thing for any president to do.”

Ann Lira, elementary school teacher, Granger:

“Two things would be the Obama health care and the mandating of religious institutions that don’t believe in birth control issues, yet they want them to provide those services for women. I still believe that there should be a division between church and state. I feel that way with the birth control issues and the school vouchers. I think that we should learn through this that there should be a division between church and state.”

Rick Moreno, manufacturing plant manager, Vandalia, Mich.:

“I’m hoping that it’s going to be more bipartisan. They tried to get him out of there in four years. It didn’t happen. Nobody could have fixed that in four years. He’s got another four years, so everybody has got to start talking to each other. They’ve got to start working for the people, that’s all there is to it. And hopefully that’s going to happen this time. And after listening to Romney, and what he said — we have to cross the lines, we have to work together — hopefully the Republicans are going to start thinking about that. I think the biggest problem was the fact that they wouldn’t cross the lines. They have a lot of good ideas, but because they refused to compromise, well, that didn’t work this time. Start talking. Bring your ideas to the table but be willing to compromise. There’s no perfect answer. It’s going to take everybody together to make this thing work.”