Thursday, October 30, 2014

'I want health care reform because ...'

About 50 people gathered Nov. 4 at Elkhart's Historic Roosevelt Center to celebrate the one-year anniversary of President Barack Obama's election at an event organized by the grassroots organization Change That Works. As part of that meeting, the group discussed health care and participants filled out large index cards that began with the phrase "I want health care reform because."

Posted on Nov. 15, 2009 at 12:00 a.m.

About 50 people gathered Nov. 4 at Elkhart's Historic Roosevelt Center to celebrate the one-year anniversary of President Barack Obama's election at an event organized by the grassroots organization Change That Works.

As part of that meeting, the group discussed health care and participants filled out large index cards that began with the phrase "I want health care reform because."

This package includes some of the responses.

I WANT HEALTH CARE REFORM BECAUSE ...

The security provided by universal health care will enable a stronger economy, enhance social and geographic mobility and fulfill a modern moral imperative.

JOE FOSTER

Elkhart

Our country does not have a health care system, we have a disease management system for the purpose of making money. The insurance plans that some people have are totally out of balance to the lack of health care that so many have.

I believe we should have a socialized medicine plan for all. Our country will never be respected until we can take care of everyone, especially the children!

BARBARA CAMEO VICTOR

Elkhart

People need to get health care when they are ill. Our emergency rooms are full with people using them as their primary care MDs. All people should have access to care without being forced to go into debt to pay for that health care.

CAROLYN BARNES

Elkhart

A society that does not embrace its people will fall behind economically. Health care is a moral responsibility. Uncontrolled capitalism only benefits a few people who control the fundamental element of our GNP. Health care now!

DWIGHT FISH

Elkhart

The fact that all Americans do not have health care is a moral sin on the wealthiest nation in the world. Additionally, the lack of health care insurance is financially unsustainable and will bankrupt our country.

BILL PHILLIPS

Elkhart

It is the right thing to do. If other countries can, why can't we? Health care expenses are out of control and will only get worse if nothing is done.

THOMAS ASHER

Elkhart

It's absurd to have fire protection and police protection and schools for all, but then refuse health care coverage/protection to nearly one-sixth of our nation's citizens. An apt analogy is private and public education in this country, both of which have a place. Same with health care.

DAN SHENK

Goshen

The present course of health care is unsustainable. Without reform, people will continue to die who have no insurance. Health care is a right -- not a privilege -- in this country.

JEAN HIRSCHLER

Goshen

My baby niece has health insurance, but my brother and sister-in-law are still thousands and thousands of dollars in debt from her birth defect remedy.

When I had COBRA, I paid my income for health insurance instead of rent and had to live with my parents; then I could get health insurance because I had a pre-existing condition.

Jesus said the poor you will always have with you. I say, "so you may as well plan for them."

RACHEL KOONTZ

Elkhart

Heath care is a right. Americans need to do the "right thing."

STACY MCCOLLY

Elkhart

How can it be that the most powerful nation in the world provides worse overall health care to its citizens than other industrialized nations? In the current U.S. system, if your health and life is not profitable to the insurance industry, you are out of luck. We can do better -- much better -- and that much better must include universal health care.

Jesus said, "... just as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me." -- Matthew 25:45

It is only common decency that we provide health care for all of our citizens. Other nations do it well. This is not rocket science. But we must not let the vested interests of the huge insurance and drug companies -- with their high-paid lobbyists and campaign contributions -- subvert change to a health care system that serves the people of our nation at least as well as other industrialized countries. These countries are our allies in the free world and successfully combine capitalist free enterprise with public health care.

WENDELL WIEBE-POWELL

Elkhart

Recommended for You

Posted on Oct. 29, 2014 at 4:56 p.m.
Posted on Oct. 29, 2014 at 4:15 p.m.
Posted on Oct. 29, 2014 at 4:00 p.m.
Back to top ^