Suspected gunman walked around Martin's store a half hour before killings

Suspected gunman Shawn Bair walked around Martin's Super Market about a half hour before he allegedly shot and killed two women.

Posted on Jan. 16, 2014 at 12:00 a.m. | Updated on Jan. 16, 2014 at 4:25 p.m.

ELKHART — Shawn Bair, the suspected gunman in the shooting deaths of two women at a Martin's Super Market, apparently walked around the store for about a half hour before carrying out the killings.

He walked to 3900 E. Bristol St. from his home, as he is believed to have done on occasion, according to Indiana State Police spokesman Sgt. Trent Smith.

Speaking at a press conference Thursday, Jan. 16, Smith said Bair entered the Martin's about 9:30 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 15. He walked around for 30 minutes wearing an overcoat before the first shooting occurred, about 10:05 p.m, which left 20-year-old Krystle Dikes, a store employee, dead. Dikes was stocking merchandise at the time.

Then Bair headed toward another employee and confronted her. She ran and Bair shot in her direction, but the bullet missed.

Meanwhile, the initial call about the incident was made to authorities at about 10:07 p.m.

After shooting at and missing the Martin's employee, Bair shot 44-year-old Rachelle Godfread, a customer in the store and the second fatality, Smith said.

After that, Bair found the store manager and held him hostage, apparently, pointing a gun at him and taunting him.

Smith said the surveillance video shows Bair looking up when police arrived. The manager took to the opportunity to run. Bair ran in the same direction as the manager, but down different aisles. The manager was able to leave the store unharmed.

Bair paused at one of the aisles for a moment, but it's hard to tell from the surveillance video what Bair was doing. He then kept running down the aisle. A short time later, Elkhart police shot and killed Bair, according to authorities.

Smith said there is no indication that Bair shot toward the officers.

“Two things happened tonight — the bravery of officers in saving lives,” Smith said and, moreover, other Martin's employees stuck around to help their fellow workers out of the store.

Police are still looking for more information as they work through the investigation.

“It will probably take several weeks before all the information will come out,” Smith said.

Recommended for You

Back to top ^