Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Small fire reported in Elkhart General Hospital emergency room

Firefighters responded to reports of a fire in the Elkhart General Hospital Emergency room.
Posted on Oct. 16, 2013 at 1:00 a.m. | Updated on Oct. 16, 2013 at 11:38 a.m.

ELKHART —A fire reported in the Elkhart General Hospital emergency room turned out to be minor and was extinguished within minutes.

The Elkhart Fire Department was called at about 10:20 a.m. Wednesday, Oct. 16, to the fire, which was reported in the emergency room of EGH, 600 East Blvd.

Fire inspector Tony Balzano said personnel saw the fire and put it out before the firefighters arrived.

Firefighters made sure the fire was completely out. A ventilation system in the room cleared the smoke.

Balzano said the fire was accidental, caused by a surgical cauterizing tool, which caught a few surgical wipes on fire.

Minimal damage was reported. Only a small area on the top of a counter and the bottom area of a cabinet was damaged.

Recommended for You

Back to top ^