Thursday, July 24, 2014
Loading...





Elkhart fire displaces family from their home

An early-morning fire damaged an Elkhart home, displacing the family that lived there.

Posted on July 26, 2013 at 1:00 a.m. | Updated on July 26, 2013 at 10:38 a.m.

ELKHART — An early-morning fire Friday, July 26, partially damaged an Elkhart home, displacing the family living there.

The blaze, called in at 2:33 a.m., started in an upstairs bathroom of the home at 348 Jackson Place when clothing sitting close to a light ignited due to heat from the source, according to Kent Stouder, a division chief with the Elkhart Fire Department. The fire, extingushed by around 3:15 a.m., heavily damaged the bathroom and an upstairs bedroom.

The blaze also caused smoke and heat damage to the ground floor and upstairs levels and displaced the family living there, an adult couple and their five children. No one suffered injuries.

The home is owned by Rogelio Salazar, who lived there, and the American Red Cross of Elkhart County is providing temporary housing for the displaced family.

One of the kids living at the home who was up playing video games detected the fire, tipping off the rest of the family, according to Stouder.




Loading...
Loading...
Loading...
Back to top ^