Tuesday, October 21, 2014
Loading...





Prosecutor will not file charges on 13-month-old’s death

The Prosecutor's Office is not filing formal charges in connection to the death of a 13-month-old child.
Posted on Feb. 11, 2013 at 12:00 a.m. | Updated on Feb. 11, 2013 at 5:30 p.m.

ELKHART — No formal charges will be filed for now by the Elkhart County Prosecutor’s Office, following a year-long investigation on the death of a 13-month-old girl.

A letter filed to the Elkhart Police Department dated Jan. 30 stated there is not enough information to file charges with the evidence collected in the investigation of Taylor Hartung-Mann’s death, according to Ed Windbigler, chief investigator at the Prosecutor’s Office.

On Dec. 31, 2011, Police were called around 7:20 p.m. to the 700 block of W. Bristol Street to the report of an unresponsive child. Hartung-Mann died later that evening.

EPD can decide to close the case or look for more evidence and resubmit it to the prosecutor’s office when they find more evidence, Windbigler said.

Kris Jiskra, Taylor’s maternal grandmother, said she was “floored” when she heard no charges had been filed.

“I don’t see any justice (for Taylor),” Jiskra said. “I don’t see Elkhart doing their job.”

Rachel Mann, Taylor’s paternal grandmother, said the infant was left in the care of her mother’s boyfriend on the night she died while her mother was at work.

There were several other adults at the house at the time, but some of them have refused to speak to police.

“They have the right to remain silent,” Mann said. “It’s difficult not knowing (what happened) and it’s not fair that these people don’t have to speak.”

Friends and family are planning a vigil for Taylor at 7 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 16 at Willowdale Park in Elkhart.


Recommended for You


Loading...
Loading...
Loading...
Back to top ^