Stories for Discussion
Commenting Rules of Engagement
We believe that a community becomes stronger when people engage one another in honest, informed conversation.
We encourage you to share your opinions, using videos and images to explain your viewpoints.
But at the same time, we insist on a civil exchange of ideas.
So that we’re clear, we will not tolerate:
- Personal attacks on private people.
- Threats or insults.
- False, misleading or defamatory statements.
- Crude or obscene language, even if it’s obscured with dashes and other forms of punctuation.
- Hate speech.
- Contributors who hijack conversations, misrepresent themselves or promote commercial products and services.
Our community benefits when we engage in constructive conversations about the issues we face. We invite you to join us.
But if you cannot honor the letter and spirit of these rules, we’ll continue the discussion without you.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I create an account?
- Click the circular user icon on the far right-hand side of the navigation bar.
- You can choose between logging in with the social media account of your choice (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Google +, LinkedIn, Yahoo) or clicking the button next to "Don’t have an account yet."
- If you choose the social media option, you don’t have to worry about ever forgetting your password.
Why can’t I log in with my old username and password?
- Since the elkharttruth.com changed its profile management system, you will need to change your password to log in with your old account.
How do I post a comment?
- Click the "write a comment" box located at the bottom of stories on elkharttruth.com.
- Type your comment. If you want to add pictures, video and/or audio, click the paperclip icon and insert the url of the picture (or video/audio) you want to embed.
- Media from these sources is accepted: Youtube, Vimeo, Picasaweb, Flicker, CNN, Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, SoundCloud, Instagram, Imgur, Twitter Pics, Tumblr, Spotify, rdio, last.fm, Pandora, smugmug, PhotoBucket, Ustream, CollegeHumor, FunnyOrDie, The Onion, and dropbox.
- Click the green "post" button to share your content.
How do I reply to a comment?
- Click the word "Reply," and follow the directions.
- You also have the option to vote in favor or against comments by clicking the thumbs-up or thumbs-down buttons.
How do I sort comments?
- Select "Sort" at the top right of the comment stream and choose between "most recent comments," "oldest comments" and "most voted comments."
- Note: by default, all comments are sorted by most voted.
How can I connect my elkharttruth.com account with my social accounts?
- Once you have logged in, select the user icon in the far right-hand corner of the navigation bar to open your profile.
- From your profile, select the white icon for the social account you would like to connect.
- Once you successfully connect the accounts, the icon will change from white to blue.
How do I upload an avatar/profile photo, change my password, change my display name or manage my email notifications and text alerts?
- When you’ve logged in, click the user icon on the far right-hand side of the navigation bar.
- Your profile will appear. From here you can edit all of your settings.
- Click save when you are done making changes.
- Note: If you logged in with a social account, you will not be able to change your password
How will I know when a user responds to my comments?
- There are two ways to follow replies to your comments.
- First, you can click "Follow replies to my comments" which is located at the bottom right hand side of stories you’ve commented on, above the comments. Type in your email and click the Follow button. You will be emailed whenever a reply to one of your comments is posted.
- You can also click subscribe to receive an email whenever anybody posts any comment on that particular story.
How do I flag an inappropriate comment?
- This will flag the content to The Elkhart Truth for review.
How can I follow comments from other users?
- Unfortunately there is currently no way to follow comments from particular users.
Why did the comment I posted never show up?
- Comments that violate our commenting policy regarding crude or obscene language are deleted automatically and will not show up on our site.
- Comments from blocked users and IP addresses are also automatically deleted.
- If you don’t think you fall under either of those categories, send a detailed email including your name, commenting account information, the story on which your comment was posted and why you believe it did not violate the commenting policy to email@example.com
Why did my comment get deleted?
- The Elkhart Truth only deletes comments when they violate the stated commenting policy. Users are banned for repeatedly violating the policy or if a comment is particularly egregious.
- Commenters may rewrite a comment to comply with the commenting policy and republish it.
- If you believe your comment was deleted and it did not violate The Elkhart Truth’s commenting policy, send a detailed email including your name, commenting account information, the story on which your comment originally appeared and why you believe it did not violate the commenting policy to firstname.lastname@example.org.