Your guide to Labor Day weekend 2013
Posted: 08/30/2013 at 12:00 pm
By: Truth Staff
Click here to view in a gallery.
The color guards from the Elkhart police and fire departments lead off the 2012 Labor Day parade in downtown Elkhart on Sept. 3, 2012. The 2013 parade will start at 2 p.m. Monday, Sept. 2. (Truth Photo By Larry Tebo)
Alexis Clark and her brother, Braylan, 1, enjoy candy they got from a parade marcher in the Labor Day parade in Elkhart on Sept. 3, 2012. The 2013 parade will start at 2 p.m. Monday, Sept. 2. (Truth Photo By Larry Tebo)
A dump truck from Rieth-Riley raises the dump box for the parade watchers in the Labor Day parade in Elkhart on Sept. 3, 2012. The 2013 parade will start at 2 p.m. Monday, Sept. 2. (Truth Photo By Larry Tebo)
The National Weather Service predicts a warm weekend with a few showers and thunderstorms.
There will be a 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms on Saturday, Aug. 31, but skies will be sunny for most of the day with high temperatures around 87 degrees.
Highs will remain in the upper 80s on Sunday with a 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms Sunday night.
Temperatures will drop on Labor Day Monday with highs around 79 degrees and mostly sunny skies.
• The Michigan Department of Transportation has announced that it will suspend as many road construction projects as possible and reopen lanes to ease traffic backups for Labor Day travelers. From 3 p.m. Friday to 6 a.m. Tuesday, the state will suspend construction and lift traffic restrictions on 96 out of 140 current projects statewide. For up-to-date Michigan construction and traffic information, visit www.michigan.gov/drive.
• According to GasBuddy.com, the average price of regular unleaded gasoline for the South Bend/Elkhart area was $3.748 per gallon Thursday evening. The Indiana average was $3.704 and the national average was $3.605 per gallon.
Still looking for something to do this weekend? Here are some events happening in the Michiana area.
• The city of Elkhart's Labor Day Parade will step off at 2 p.m. Monday in downtown Elkhart. This year's theme is “Nothing Prospers Without Labor.”
• The Michiana Farm Toy Collector's Club's 26th annual toy show will be from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday at the Elkhart County 4-H Fair Grounds, 17746 C.R. 34, Goshen. For more information call 574-831-3484.
• The Pokagon Band of Potawatomi invites to public to attend its 28th annual Kee-Boon-Mein-Kaa Pow Wow on Saturday and Sunday at the band's pow wow arena on its Rodgers Lake Campus, 58620 Sink Road, Dowagiac, Mich. The pow wow grounds open at 10 a.m. each morning and the Grand Entries begin at 1 p.m. and 6 p.m. on Saturday and noon on Sunday. Vendors selling native artwork, jewelry and crafts will be set up before the dancing starts along with cultural presentations. For more information, visit www.pokagonpowwow.com.
• The 22nd annual Ligonier Marshmallow Festival starts at noon Friday and runs through Labor Day. The festivities include a car show, children's games and rides, fireworks, a marshmallow roast and a parade on Labor Day. For more information and a schedule of events, visit marshmallowfestival.com.
There will be no trash collection in the city of Goshen on Monday because of the holiday. The trash collection routes for the week will each be delayed for one day. The regular trash collection schedule will resume on Monday, Sept. 9.
• All Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles locations will be closed Saturday through Monday. All branches will reopen on Tuesday with the exception of 16 branches that will reopen on Wednesday, including the Nappanee BMV branch.
• The Interurban Trolley and ADA Paratransit Service will not operate in Elkhart or Goshen on Labor Day. Services will resume on Tuesday.