Firework blows up in dogs face, forcing Humane Society to kill it
Posted: 07/05/2013 at 4:14 pm
By: Emily Pfund
Assistant Director Megan Gonterman said Elkhart police brought a dog with severe facial injuries to the shelter on Friday, July 5.
Witnesses told police that children had been throwing lit fireworks at the dog. The dog picked up one of the fireworks in her mouth and it exploded, “basically blowing her face off,” Gonterman said.
The dog had to be immediately euthanized due to the extent of her injuries.
“We want to stress the importance of safety (when using fireworks),” Gonterman said. “(Parents should be) ensuring no youth is handling an explosive or firework on their own and taking extra steps to make sure animals are never unsupervised. This kind of incident and cruelty should be able to be prevented.”