Goshen Board of Public Works, April 22, 2013
Posted: 04/22/2013 at 4:22 pm
When: Monday, April 22
Key action: Approved the hiring of Patrick Martin as a probationary firefighter for the Goshen Fire Department.
Martin will officially begin his duties Monday, April 29.
• Authorized the execution of a conservation easement on the property of Fidler Pond to the Indiana Department of Natural Resources. The easement was required in order to receive a grant for the area and essentially guarantees the property can only be used as a park, according to Goshen parks superintendent Sheri Howland.
• Allowed the closure of North Fifth Street between the railroad tracks and Crescent Street for two days between Thursday, April 25, and May 3. The two days are to be determined when the contractor is able to be contacted and can begin work.
• Accepted an agreement with M.W. Chupp Inc. to replace the galvanized water lines in the city’s Annex Building, 204 E. Jefferson Street. The water lines are to be replaced with type L hard copper water lines for $6,400 and will be completed within 30 days of receiving a notice from the city to proceed.
• Approved a release of liability agreement with Thompson’s Towing and Repair, Jeffery and Betty Berkey. The fire department will be using the property at 1407 Chicago Ave. and scrap motor vehicles supplied by Thompson’s for training purposes.
• Accepted a change order to an agreement on the Park Avenue reconstruction project. The change order was necessary to include sanitary sewer repair, which will add $8,629 to the contract for a total of $417,055.65.
• Accepted a change order to an agreement on the Central Garage expansion project. The change order was for modifications to the sanitary service and water service lines and 475 square feet of additional concrete slab to be poured in the existing building due to cracks in the existing slab. The change increases the project cost by $3,869 for a total contract price of $743,689.
• Awarded the city lawn mowing bid to Stiver’s Lawn and Landscaping for a lump sum of $13,825 and a per-mowing price of $75.
• Opened bids for a traffic signal improvements project and the project regarding the seeding of Mill Street Park and Indiana Avenue property. The bids were referred to their respective departments for recommendations.
• Granted permission to advertise for bids to relocate the 12-inch water main along the north side of Monroe Street at Rock Run Creek. The main must be moved because of the proposed Monroe Street bike path and Monroe Street Bridge improvements. The bid will be advertised Friday, April 26, and May 3, with bids due May 13.
• Released the maintenance bond for the Center Street sanitary sewer extension project. The bond was a three-year maintenance bond posted by Beer and Slabaugh Inc. in the amount of $9,959.08.
• Granted permission to The Old Bag Factory to encroach within the right-of-way in the northwest corner of North Indiana Avenue and Chicago Avenue. The parking lot will extend into the right-of-way and the owners of the parcel will be responsible for any relocation of private materials and replacement of private materials should excavation occur.