Entertainment Calendar: Your guide to local events
Posted: 03/19/2013 at 6:10 pm
Click here to view in a gallery.
Garth Mason (left) and Joshua Hensley (right) of the band Rutabega, will perform at 10 p.m. March 30, at Constant Spring, 219 S. Main St., Goshen. The cover charge is $5.
Art work from nine Goshen College students will be on display in the Music Center's Hershberger Art Gallery from March 10 to April 17. The gallery is open from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. weekdays and from 2 to 4 p.m. weekends.
GOSHEN COLLEGE: Community Fair — An open house will be at the campus from 2 to 4 p.m. Sunday, March 24. The student-run radio station, 91.1 The Globe, will broadcast live. Information: 535-7566 or email@example.com The college is at 1700 S. Main St., Goshen.
GOSHEN NOON KIWANIS CLUB: Travelogue Series — The next film will be at 7:30 p.m. Monday, March 25, in the Goshen Middle School auditorium. The film “The Great Canadian Train Ride” will play. Tickets will be available at the door. Information: Deb Jones at 536-6091. The school is at 1216 S. Indiana Ave. (C.R. 21), Goshen.
HACIENDA MEXICAN RESTAURANT: A fundraiser for the Kristyana Jackson memorial fund will be all day Sunday, March 24, at Hacienda, 186 Easy Shopping Place, Elkhart. Present a token to have 20 percent of your bill donated to the memorial fund. Tokens are available at Swanson Staffing, Bristol Street Pediatrics or CTS. Tokens can also be received by contacting Judi Ballard at 361-4736.
INDIANA STATE FAIRGROUNDS: The 15th annual Indianapolis Spring Bead, Gem, Mineral and Jewelry Show will be from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Friday and Saturday, March 22-23, and from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday, March 24, in the Agriculture/Horticulture Building at the Indiana State Fairgrounds. Admission. The fairgrounds are at 1202 E. 38th St., Indianapolis. Information: www.toteshows.com.
LEMONADE DAY: Lemonade Day will be May 4 in Elkhart. Registration begins in March. Registration: elkhart.lemonadeday.org.
MICHIANA BIRD SOCIETY: The 19th annual Bird Fair will be from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, March 23, at the Mishawaka Fraternal Order of Police, 1825 E. 12th St., Mishawaka. Admission. Information: Bruce Crowel at 586-7073 or Marla McCreery at 825-5972.
TOLSON CENTER: The 4th annual Easter Egg Hunt will be from 10 a.m. to noon Saturday, March 23, at the Tolson Center, 1320 Benhman Ave., Elkhart. For grades 1-7. Information: 295-6575
DAS DUTCHMAN ESSENHAUS: “Peter: The ROCK!” will be performed at 7 p.m. Thursday to Saturday, March 28-30, and 3 p.m. Saturday, March 30, in Essenhaus Heritage Hall. Tickets and information: 800-455-9471 or www.essenhaus.com. The Essenhaus campus is at 240 U.S. 20, Middlebury.
PUPPET PARLOR THEATRE: Show times are at 1 and 4 p.m. Fridays, 1 and 3 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays, and private groups only on Wednesdays. Information: 219-210-3428.
SOUTH BEND CIVIC THEATRE: “Guys and Dolls” — Mainstage. Two extended performances will be at 8 p.m. Friday, March 22, and Saturday, March 23. Information and tickets: 234-1112 or www.sbct.org. The theater is at 403 N. Main St., South Bend.
BLUE GATE THEATER
• Friday, March 22 — Brian Free and Assurance will perform
• April 5 — Freedom Trio will perform.
Information: 888-447-4725. The theater is at 175 N. Van Buren St., Shipshewana.
CONSTANT SPRING: The Rutabega and Ceiling Star will perform at 10 p.m. March 30 at Constant Spring, 219 S. Main St., Goshen. Ages 21 and older. Cover: $5
Lavender Jazz Spring Concert: Goshen College’s big band will perform at 7:30 p.m. Friday, March 22, in Sauder Concert Hall. Tickets: Prices vary. Information: 535-7566, firstname.lastname@example.org or [URL]www.goshen.edu/tickets;http://www.goshen.edu/tickets[URL]. The college is at 1700 S. Main St., Goshen.
MORRIS PERFORMING ARTS CENTER:Comedian Brian Regan will perform at 7 p.m. April 28. Purchase tickets at [/URL]www.morriscenter.org;http://www.morriscenter.org[URL], the Morris Center box office or charge by phone at 235-9190 or 800-537-6415. The Morris is at 211 N. Michigan St., South Bend.
CAPS: Positive Parenting program — Ten-week parenting classes will be offered from April to June. Register by April 3 by calling CAPS at 295-227. For a list of classes and class times visit [/URL]www.capselkhart.org;http://www.capselkhart.org[URL].
GOSHEN COLLEGE: Lavender Jazz Spring Concert — The concert will begin at 7:30 p.m. Friday, March 22, in Sauder Concert Hall. The college is at 1700 S. Main St., Goshen.
LINTON’S ENCHANTED GARDENS
• March 23: Seminar on roses with minimal maintainance
• March 30: Seminar on pruning
All seminars are at 10 a.m. Saturdays at the gardens, 315 C.R. 17, Elkhart. Reservations: 293-9699.
MIDWEST MUSEUM OF ART
• March 21: Art educator from an area high school
• March 28: Art educator from an area high school
• April 4 — Film about Native American pottery maker Maria Martinez. Film starts at 12:15 p.m.
Talks are every Thursday from 12:20 to 1 p.m. and are free. Information and registration: 293-6660 or [/URL]www.midwestmuseum.us;http://www.midwestmuseum.us[URL]. The museum is at 429 S. Main St., Elkhart.
Dance class dates are April 13 and May 11.
• 9:15 to 10:15 a.m. — Beginner Hip-Hop, ages 8-12
• 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. — Intermediate Hip-Hop, ages 13-17
• 11:45 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. — Preschool Boot Camp, ages 3-7
Classes cost $20 each. Information and registration: Sue Frost-Mayse at 293-4469 or email@example.com. Premier Arts is at 410 S. Main St., Elkhart.
TOLSON CENTER: Registration is open for junior high and high school off-season basketball training. Junior high and high school boys will meet Thursdays from April 25 to May 30. Junior high and high school girls will meet Tuesdays from April 23 to May 28. Registration and information: 295-7275, ext. 12, or [/URL]www.elkhartindiana.org;http://www.elkhartindiana.org. The center is at 1320 Benham Ave., Elkhart.
GOSHEN COLLEGE: The StepCrew — The group will perform at 7:30 p.m. Saturday, March 23, in Sauder Concert Hall. Tickets: Prices vary. Information: 535-7566, firstname.lastname@example.org or [URL]www.goshen.edu/tickets. The college is at 1700 S. Main St., Goshen.
ELKHART COUNTY PARKS: A program on the American woodcock will be from 6 to 9 p.m. Friday, March 22, at Ox Bow Haus Shelter in Ox Bow County Park, 23033 C.R. 45, Goshen. Preregister and pay by Thursday, March 21. Information and registration: 535-6458.
BRADLEY VITE FINE ART: The museum specializes in 19th- and 20th-century American art. The museum is open from 11:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday and by appointment. The museum is at 1600 W. Beardsley Ave.
ELKHART COUNTY HISTORICAL MUSEUM
• The “Collection Curiosities” program will be a 7 p.m. Thursday, March 21. Admission: $1/person.
• A Palm Sunday tornado rememberance program will be at 1 p.m. Sunday, March 24. Free.
• The temporary exhibit “The Home Front: Elkhart County During World War II” is open until April 1.
The museum is at 304 W. Vistula St., Bristol. Hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday. There is no admission charge, but donations are accepted.
FIRE ARTS: The John Mishler sculpture exhibit will run until April 25. Information: 282-2787 or www.fireartsinc.com. Fire Arts is at 305 E. Colfax Ave., South Bend.
• Senior Art Show I — The exhibit runs until Wednesday, March 27, in the Hershberger Art Gallery.
• Senior Art Show II — An opening reception for the second half of the senior art exhibit will be from 2 to 4 p.m. April 7. The exhibit will run from March 31 to April 17. The reception and the exhibit will be in the Hershberger Art Gallery.
• “Heritage Works” — The exhibit runs until March 28 in the Good Library Gallery at the college, 1700 S. Main St., Goshen.
HOSTETLER’S HUDSON AUTO MUSEUM: The museum contains 48 permanent museum cars and 10 to 12 cars from Hostetler’s personal collection. The museum is open Monday through Saturday. Admission. Information: 260-768-3021 or www.hostetlershudsons.com. The museum is at 760 S. Van Buren St., Shipshewana.
MIDWEST MUSEUM OF AMERICAN ART: The 2013 Youth Art Exhibit will run through March 30 at the museum, 429 S. Main St., Elkhart. Admission. The museum is open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday-Friday and 1 to 4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
NATIONAL NEW YORK CENTRAL RAILROAD MUSEUM: The Stanley Bell model railroad collection includes hundreds of pieces on display. Hours: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday, noon to 4 p.m. Sunday. Information: 294-3001. The museum is at 721 S. Main St., Elkhart.
• The museum will reopen April 2.
• Spring Culture Series: “Heirloom Vegetables and Seed Saving” at 6 p.m. April 5.
Tuesday to Saturday tours begin on the hour from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday tours are on the hour from 1 to 3 p.m. The museum is at 302 E. Beardsley Ave., Elkhart.
SNITE MUSEUM OF ART: Museum hours are 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesdays and Wednesdays, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Thursdays through Saturdays and 1 to 5 p.m. Sundays. The museum is at 100 Moose Krause Circle, Notre Dame.
SOUTH BEND MUSEUM OF ART: “Beautiful Industry” — The exhibit runs through June 2. Hours: noon to 5 p.m. Wednesday through Sunday. Information: 235-9102 or southbendart.org. The museum is at 120 S. Saint Joseph St., South Bend.
STUDEBAKER NATIONAL MUSEUM: “Studebaker at the Brickyard” — The exhibit runs through April 28. The museum is at 201 S. Chapin St., South Bend. Hours: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Saturday and noon to 5 p.m. Sunday. Admission. Information: 235-9714, 888-391-5600 or www.studebakermuseum.org.
BARNEY’S BAR: Barney’s Bar and DJ Killa Keebz will host trivia nights covering sports and music for prizes from 7 to 11 p.m. Tuesdays at the bar, 2700 Hammond Ave. No cover. Information: 387-7882 or email@example.com.
BRISTOL AMERICAN LEGION: Cousin Vinny will perform from 7 to 11 p.m. Friday, March 22, and Saturday, March 23, at the Legion, 905 Maple St., Bristol.
• Thursday, March 21: The Barn Storm
• Friday, March 22: Jack Callahan Band
• Saturday, March 23: Anish
In the restaurant at 127 N. Main St., South Bend. Information: 232-2853 or www.fiddlershearth.com.
ROCK BOTTOM BAR:Bryan Barr sings and plays from 7 to 10 p.m. Tuesdays with karaoke set up for guests interested in singing along. Information: 294-8888. The bar is at 2220 S. Nappanee St., Elkhart.
RULLI’S BELLA LUNA BAR: Information: 825-7222 or www.facebook.com/RullisBellaLuna. The bar is at 851 U.S. 20, Middlebury.
SIGNATURE LANES: Elwood Splinters will perform from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. Saturday, March, 23. Information: www.siglanes.com.
SIMERI’S BEARDSLEY STREET TAVERN: Laura and Cousin Vinny will perform from 6 to 9 p.m. Tuesday, March 26, at the tavern, 1737 W. Beardsley Ave., Elkhart.
SPORTS TIME PUB AND GRILL: JT Buffett: Island Music plays from 6 to 9 p.m. Fridays. The restaurant is at 56199 Parkway Ave., Elkhart. Information: 970-5940.
WHISKEY DICK’S FIVE STAR DIVE BAR
• Marty Miles will perform from 5 to 7 p.m. Wednesday, March 27. Dan Balmer will play bass.
• Comedians Chili Challis and Ken Scott will perform from 7:30 to 9 p.m. Thursday, April 4. Admission.
Tickets and information: www.fivestardivebar.info. The saloon is at 561 E. Jackson Blvd.
BARNEY’S BAR: Thursday, Friday and Saturday
BOLT’S: Friday and Saturday
BOWLY’S CRYSTAL BAR: Saturday
CHICAGO GRILL & BAR: Wednesday
CONSTANT SPRING: Wednesday
GARVER LAKE BAR & GRILL: Thursday and Saturday
PHYL’S CORNER: Friday and Saturday
POOR TONY’S RESTAURANT AND LOUNGE: 6 to 10 p.m. Wednesday, 7:30 p.m. to 1 a.m. Friday and Saturday
SIGNATURE LANES: 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. Friday
VFW POST 88:8 p.m. to midnight Saturday
ALSO IN THE AREA
BETHEL COLLEGE: The two college Music Ministry Teams, Anchored and Justified, will perform at 1 p.m., 2:30 p.m. and 4 p.m. Saturday, March 23, in the Barnes & Noble hallway at University Park Mall, 6501 Grape Road.
• Saturday, March 23: Lil Frank and the Premiers at 9 p.m. Cover: TBA
• Sunday, March 24: The Rev. Raven and His Chain Smoking Altar Boys at 7:30 p.m. Cover: $10
Information: 255-0458. The tavern is at 810 W. Fourth St.
CIVIL RIGHTS HERITAGE CENTER: Carole Weatherford will read from and sign copies of her book “When Harriet Tubman Led Her People to Freedom” beginning at 11 a.m. Saturday, March 23, at the Civil Rights Heritage Center, 1040 W. Washington St. Free. Information: The IU South Bend box office at 520-4203 or arts.iusb.edu.
GROWING SUMMIT: Unity Gardens and the Saint Joseph Valley Master Gardeners will host the 3rd annual Growing Summit Friday through Sunday, March 22-24, at IU South Bend and Potawatomi Conservatories. Information: Mitchel Yaciw at 315-4361 or at www.theunitygardens.org.
IU SOUTH BEND
• The IUSB Dance Faculty and IUSB Dance Company will perform at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, March 21, in Northside Hall’s Upstage.
• The Toradze Piano Studio will perform at 7:30 p.m. Friday, March 22, in the Campus Auditorium of Northside Hall.
• Brent Malin will give a lecture on the media, economics and masculinity at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, March 27, in Northside’s Recital Hall.
• An opening reception for the BFA Student Art Exhibition will be from 4 to 6 p.m. Wednesday, March 27, in the East Lounge of Northside Hall. The exhibit will run through April 5.
• The Euclid Quartet will perform its spring recital at 7:30 p.m. April 5 in the Recital Hall of Northside Hall.
Tickets and information: 520-4203 or arts.iusb.edu. Northside Hall is at 1855 Northside Blvd.
PALAIS ROYALE: An Easter brunch will be from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. March 31 at the ballroom, 105 W. Colfax Ave. Reservations: The Morris box office at 235-9190 or 800-537-6415.
SWOPE ART MUSEUM: The 69th annual Wabash Valley Juried Exhibition runs from June 29 to Aug. 24. Entries are being accepted until March 30. Information: www.swope.org or WVE@swope.org.
BUCHANAN ART CENTER: Gallery hours are from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday.
SOUTHWESTERN MICHIGAN COLLEGE
• The Spring Pops Concert will be at 7:30 p.m. Friday, March 22, in the theatre of the Dale A. Lyons Building.
• An art faculty exhibit will run through April 5 in the Dale A. Lyons Building.
• Terry Groth will give a lecture on the future of nuclear energy at 2 p.m. April 4 in the Student Activity Center.
Tickets: At the door or by calling the box office at 800-456-8675, ext. 1280. The college is at 58900 Cherry Grove Road.
FIRESIDE TAP AND GRILL: South of Somewhere will perform from 9 p.m. to midnight Thursdays at the bar, 69245 Maple St. No cover charge. Information: 269-414-4103.
FERNWOOD BOTANICAL GARDENS AND NATURE PRESERVE
• Railway Garden: Replicas of Buchanan’s Pears Mill, the Niles Depot, the St. Joseph Lighthouse and Notre Dame’s Golden Dome.
• The 2013 Spring Garden Symposium will be from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, March 23.
• A gardener’s rummage sale will be from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. March 30.
• A spring wildflower walk will be from 1 to 2:30 p.m. March 28.
• Great Lakes Chapter of the Guild of Scientific Illustrators: The exhibit runs until April 14.
Fernwood’s winter hours are 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday and noon to 5 p.m. Sunday. Information: 269-695-6491 or www.fernwoodbotanical.org. The gardens are at 13988 Range Line Road.
FOUR WINDS CASINO
• B.B. King concert — Tickets are on sale for the 9 p.m. April 6 concert in the Silver Creek Event Center.
• Tickets go on sale Friday, March 22, for summer entertainment at the casino including: Styx, Bill Engvall and Foreigner.
Tickets: 800-745-3000 or at www.ticketmaster.com. The casino is at 11111 Wilson Road.
The Entertainment Calendar appears each Thursday in The Elkhart Truth. Deadline for submissions is 5 p.m. Mondays. Notice of upcoming concerts, theater performances, exhibits and events may be addressed to: Entertainment Calendar, The Elkhart Truth, P.O. Box 487, Elkhart, IN 46515; faxed to 294-3895; or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. You also may leave a message with Joe Kuharic at 296-5861.