Entertainment Calendar: Your guide to local events
Posted: 03/12/2013 at 5:40 pm
Click here to view in a gallery.
(From left) Joe Iavagnilio, Dayna Arnett and Andrew Scott star in “Seussical, the Musical,” which will be performed March 15 and 17 at Elkhart Central High School. Tickets are $8 for adults and $5 for seniors 62 and older and students; to reserve tickets call 574-295-4700. Tickets will also be available at the door. (Photo supplied)
The Bethel College Concert Choir from North Newton, Kan., will perform at Bethany Christian High School in Goshen and at Prairie Street Mennonite Church in Elkhart on Tuesday, March 19. (Photo supplied)
GOSHEN COLLEGE: Community Fair — An open house will be at the campus from 2 to 4 p.m. Sunday, March 24. The student-run radio station, 91.1 The Globe, will broadcast live. Information: 535-7566 or email@example.com The college is at 1700 S. Main St., Goshen.
GOSHEN NOON KIWANIS CLUB: Travelogue Series — The next film will be at 7:30 p.m. March 25 in the Goshen Middle School auditorium. The film “The Great Canadian Train Ride” will play. Tickets will be available at the door. Information: Deb Jones at 536-6091. The school is at 1216 S. Indiana Ave. (C.R. 21), Goshen.
INDIANA STATE FAIRGROUNDS: The 15th annual Indianapolis Spring Bead, Gem, Mineral and Jewelry Show will be from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Friday and Saturday, March 22-23, and from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. March 24 in the Agriculture/Horticulture Building at the Indiana State Fairgrounds. Admission. The fairgrounds are at 1202 E. 38th St., Indianapolis. Information: www.toteshows.com.
LEMONADE DAY: Lemonade Day will be May 4 in Elkhart. Registration begins in March. Registration: elkhart.lemonadeday.org.
MICHIANA BIRD SOCIETY: The 19th annual Bird Fair will be from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. March 23 at the Mishawaka Fraternal Order of Police, 1825 E. 12th St., Mishawaka. Admission. Information: Bruce Crowel at 586-7073 or Marla McCreeery at 825-5972.
TOLSON CENTER: The 4th annual Easter Egg Hunt will be from 10 a.m. to noon March 23 at the Tolson Center, 1320 Benhman Ave., Elkhart. For grades 1-7. Information: 295-6575
DAS DUTCHMAN ESSENHAUS: “Peter: The ROCK!” will be performed at 7 p.m. Thursday to Saturday, March 28-30, and 3 p.m. Saturday, March 30, in Essenhaus Heritage Hall. Tickets and information: 800-455-9471 or www.essenhaus.com. The Essenhaus campus is at 240 U.S. 20, Middlebury.
ELKHART CENTRAL HIGH SCHOOL: “Seussical the Musical!” will be performed at 7 p.m. Friday, March 15, and 2 p.m. Sunday, March 17, in the ECHS Auditorium, 1 Blazer Blvd., Elkhart. Admission. Tickets: 295-4700 or available at the door.
ELKHART CIVIC THEATER: “9 to 5: The Musical” — Performances will be at 8 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays, March 15-23, with a 3 p.m. matinee Sunday, March 17. Tickets and information: 848-4116 or www.elkhartcivictheatre.org The theater is at 210 E. Vistula St., Bristol.
NEW WORLD ARTS: “Stop Kiss” — A play about relationships. Performances will be at 8 p.m. Friday and Saturday, March 15-16, and 3 p.m. Sunday, March 17. Tickets: www.brownpapertickets.com. New World Arts is at 211 S. Main St., Goshen.
PUPPET PARLOR THEATRE: Show times are at 1 and 4 p.m. Fridays, 1 and 3 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays, and private groups only on Wednesdays. Information: 219-210-3428.
SOUTH BEND CIVIC THEATRE: “Guys and Dolls” — Mainstage, March 1-17. Two extended performances will be at 8 p.m. March 22, and 23. Information and tickets: 234-1112 or www.sbct.org. The theater is at 403 N. Main St., South Bend.
BETHEL COLLEGE: The Bethel College Concert Choir from North Newton, Kan., will perform at 11 a.m. at Bethany Christian High School, 2904 S. Main St., Goshen, and 7 p.m. at Prairie Street Mennonite Church, 1316 Prairie St., Elkhart, on Tuesday, March 19.
BLUE GATE THEATER
• Friday, March 15 — The Whisnants will perform
• Friday, March 22 — Brian Free and Assurance will perform
Information: 888-447-4725. The theater is at 175 N. Van Buren St., Shipshewana.
CONSTANT SPRING: The Rutabega and Ceiling Star will perform at 10 p.m. March 30 at Constant Spring, 219 S. Main St., Goshen. Ages 21 and older. Cover: $5
DAS DUTCHMAN ESSENHAUS: Bluegrass band Conley-Schmidt will perform at 7 p.m. Friday, March 15, in Heritage Hall on the Essenhaus campus, 240 U.S. 20, Middlebury. Tickets: 800-455-9471 or www.essenhaus.com.
• Peter Yarrow of the band Peter, Paul and Mary will perform at 7:30 p.m. Friday, March 15.
• Lavender Jazz Spring Concert: Goshen College’s big band will perform at 7:30 p.m. March 22 in Sauder Concert Hall.
Tickets: Prices vary. Information: 535-7566, firstname.lastname@example.org or [URL]www.goshen.edu/tickets;http://www.goshen.edu/tickets[URL]. The college is at 1700 S. Main St., Goshen.
MORRIS PERFORMING ARTS CENTER:Comedian Brian Regan will perform at 7 p.m. April 28. Purchase tickets at [/URL]www.morriscenter.org;http://www.morriscenter.org[URL], the Morris Center box office or charge by phone at 235-9190 or 800-537-6415. The Morris is at 211 N. Michigan St., South Bend.
CAPS: Positive Parenting program — Ten-week parenting classes will be offered from April to June. Register by April 3 by calling CAPS at 295-227. For a list of classes and class times visit [/URL]www.capselkhart.org;http://www.capselkhart.org[URL].
• Simran Sethi will give a lecture on the intersection of food and faith at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, March 19, in Rieth Recital Hall.
• Georgina Mancinelli will give a lecture on biology at 4 p.m. Wednesday, March 20, in Room 106 of the Science Building.
The college is at 1700 S. Main St., Goshen.
LINTON’S ENCHANTED GARDENS
• March 16: Seminar or containers and landscapes
• March 23: Seminar on roses with minimal maintainance
All seminars are at 10 a.m. Saturdays at the gardens, 315 C.R. 17, Elkhart. Reservations: 293-9699.
MIDWEST MUSEUM OF ART
• March 14: Art educator from an area high school
• March 21: Art educator from an area high school
• March 28: Art educator from an area high school
Talks are every Thursday from 12:20 to 1 p.m. and are free. Information and registration: 293-6660 or [/URL]www.midwestmuseum.us;http://www.midwestmuseum.us[URL]. The museum is at 429 S. Main St., Elkhart.
Dance class dates are April 13 and May 11.
• 9:15 to 10:15 a.m. — Beginner Hip-Hop, ages 8-12
• 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. — Intermediate Hip-Hop, ages 13-17
• 11:45 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. — Preschool Boot Camp, ages 3-7
Classes cost $20 each. Information and registration: Sue Frost-Mayse at 293-4469 or email@example.com. Premier Arts is at 410 S. Main St., Elkhart.
TOLSON CENTER: Instructional baton twirling lessons will be offered from 4 to 5 p.m. every Wednesday until March 20. Registration and information: 295-7275, ext. 12, or [/URL]www.elkhartindiana.org;http://www.elkhartindiana.org. The center is at 1320 Benham Ave., Elkhart.
GOSHEN COLLEGE: The StepCrew — The group will perform at 7:30 p.m. March 23 in Sauder Concert Hall. Tickets: Prices vary. Information: 535-7566, firstname.lastname@example.org or [URL]www.goshen.edu/tickets. The college is at 1700 S. Main St., Goshen.
LERNER THEATRE: In Concert will be performed at 2 p.m. Sunday, March 17, at the theater, 410 S Main St., Elkhart. Information: 293-4469.
• Stewardship Day — Park manager Tom Enright will speak from 6 to 8 p.m. Thursday, March 14, at the Middlebury Library. Topics will include natural lawn care, attracting beneficial wildlife and conserving and improving water quality.
• Build a wildlife nest — The event will be from 5 to 8 p.m. Friday, March 15, at the Middlebury Library. Materials: $5.
The library is at 101 E. Winslow St. Information: 825-3283.
BRADLEY VITE FINE ART: The museum specializes in 19th- and 20th-century American art. The museum is open from 11:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday and by appointment. The museum is at 1600 W. Beardsley Ave.
ELKHART COUNTY HISTORICAL MUSEUM: The temporary exhibit “The Home Front: Elkhart County During World War II” is open until March 31. The museum is at 304 W. Vistula St., Bristol. Hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday. There is no admission charge, but donations are accepted.
FIRE ARTS: The John Mishler sculpture exhibit will run until April 25.
Information: 282-2787 or www.fireartsinc.com. Fire Arts is at 305 E. Colfax Ave., South Bend.
• Senior Art Show I — The exhibit runs until March 27 in the Hershberger Art Gallery.
• Senior Art Show II — An opening reception for the second half of the senior art exhibit will be from 2 to 4 p.m. April 7. The exhibit will run from March 31 to April 17. The reception and the exhibit will be in the Hershberger Art Gallery.
• “Heritage Works” — The exhibit runs until March 28 in the Good Library Gallery at the college, 1700 S. Main St., Goshen.
HOSTETLER’S HUDSON AUTO MUSEUM: The museum contains 48 permanent museum cars and 10 to 12 cars from Hostetler’s personal collection. The museum is open Monday through Saturday. Admission. Information: 260-768-3021 or www.hostetlershudsons.com. The museum is at 760 S. Van Buren St., Shipshewana.
MIDWEST MUSEUM OF AMERICAN ART: The 2013 Youth Art Exhibit will run through March 30 at the museum, 429 S. Main St. Elkhart. Admission. The museum is open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday-Friday and 1 to 4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
NATIONAL NEW YORK CENTRAL RAILROAD MUSEUM: The Stanley Bell model railroad collection includes hundreds of pieces on display. Hours: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday, noon to 4 p.m. Sunday. Information: 294-3001. The museum is at 721 S. Main St., Elkhart.
SNITE MUSEUM OF ART: Museum hours are 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesdays and Wednesdays, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Thursdays through Saturdays and 1 to 5 p.m. Sundays. The museum is at 100 Moose Krause Circle, Notre Dame.
SOUTH BEND MUSEUM OF ART: “Beautiful Industry” — The exhibit runs through June 2. Hours: noon to 5 p.m. Wednesday through Sunday. Information: 235-9102 or southbendart.org. The museum is at 120 S. Saint Joseph St., South Bend.
STUDEBAKER NATIONAL MUSEUM: “Studebaker at the Brickyard” — The exhibit runs through April 28. The museum is at 201 S. Chapin St., South Bend. Hours: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Saturday and noon to 5 p.m. Sunday. Admission. Information: 235-9714, 888-391-5600 or www.studebakermuseum.org.
BARNEY’S BAR: Barney’s Bar and DJ Killa Keebz will host trivia nights covering sports and music for prizes from 7 to 11 p.m. Tuesdays at the bar, 2700 Hammond Ave. No cover. Information: 387-7882 or email@example.com.
• Thursday, March 14: Andrew and the Family Ferlic
• Friday, March 15: Moxie Strings with Fritz McGirr
• Saturday, March 16: Three Men in Kilts
In the restaurant at 127 N. Main St., South Bend. Information: 232-2853 or www.fiddlershearth.com.
ROCK BOTTOM BAR:Bryan Barr sings and plays from 7 to 10 p.m. Tuesdays with karaoke set up for guests interested in singing along. Information: 294-8888. The bar is at 2220 S. Nappanee St., Elkhart.
RULLI’S BELLA LUNA BAR: Information: 825-7222 or www.facebook.com/RullisBellaLuna. The bar is at 851 U.S. 20, Middlebury.
SIGNATURE LANES: The Rattlers will perform from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. Saturday, March 16. Information: www.siglanes.com.
SPORTS TIME PUB AND GRILL: JT Buffett: Island Music plays from 6 to 9 p.m. Fridays. The restaurant is at 56199 Parkway Ave., Elkhart. Information: 970-5940.
WHISKEY DICK’S: Marty Miles will perform from 5 to 7 p.m. March 27 at the saloon, 561 E. Jackson Blvd. Dan Balmer will play bass.
BARNEY’S BAR: Thursday, Friday and Saturday
BOLT’S: Friday and Saturday
BOWLY’S CRYSTAL BAR: Saturday
CHICAGO GRILL & BAR: Wednesday
CONSTANT SPRING: Wednesday
GARVER LAKE BAR & GRILL: Thursday and Saturday
PHYL’S CORNER: Friday and Saturday
POOR TONY’S RESTAURANT AND LOUNGE: 6 to 10 p.m. Wednesday, 7:30 p.m. to 1 a.m. Friday and Saturday
SIGNATURE LANES: 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. Friday
VFW POST 88:8 p.m. to midnight Saturday
ALSO IN THE AREA
BETHEL COLLEGE: The two college Music Ministry Teams, Anchored and Justified, will perform at 1 p.m., 2:30 p.m. and 4 p.m. March 23 in the Barnes & Noble hallway at University Park Mall, 6501 Grape Road.
MICHIANA GENEALOGY FAIR: The 15th annual South Bend Area Genealogical Society’s genealogy fair will begin at 9 a.m. Saturday, March 16, at the Mishawaka-Penn-Harris Public Library, 209 Lincolnway E. Information: Bill Minish at 277-1183 or WHMinish@aol.com.
• Thursday, March 14: Deanna Bogart at 7:30 p.m. Cover: $10
• Friday, March 15: Junior and the Igniters at 9 p.m. Cover: $6
• Saturday, March 16: Elwood Splinters Blues Band at 9 p.m. Cover: $ 7
Information: 255-0458. The tavern is at 810 W. Fourth St.
CIVIL RIGHTS HERITAGE CENTER: Carole Weatherford will read from and sign copies of her book “When Harriet Tubman Led Her People to Freedom” beginning at 11 a.m. March 23 at the Civil Rights Heritage Center, 1040 W. Washington St. Free. Information: The IU South Bend box office at 520-4203 or arts.iusb.edu.
GROWING SUMMIT: Unity Gardens and the Saint Joseph Valley Master Gardeners will host the 3rd annual Growing Summit March 22-24 at IU South Bend and Potawatomi Conservatories. Information: Mitchel Yaciw at 315-4361 or at www.theunitygardens.org.
IU SOUTH BEND
• The IUSB Dance Faculty and IUSB Dance Company will perform at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, March 21, in Northside Hall’s Upstage.
• The Toradze Piano Studio will perform at 7:30 p.m. March 22 in the Campus Auditorium of Northside Hall.
• Brent Malin will give a lecture on the media, economics and masculinity at 7:30 p.m. March 27 in Northside’s Recital Hall.
• An opening reception for the BFA Student Art Exhibition will be from 4 to 6 p.m. March 27 in the East Lounge of Northside Hall. The exhibit will run through April 5.
Tickets and information: 520-4203 or arts.iusb.edu. Northside Hall is at 1855 Northside Blvd.
ST. PATRICK’S DAY EVENTS
Friday, March 15
• 5 to 11 p.m. — Downtown South Bend Tent Party and Pub Tour. Information: DTSB at 282-1110.
• 9 p.m. to midnight — The Moxie Strings at Fiddler’s Hearth, 127 N. Main St.
Saturday, March 16
• 9:30 a.m. — First annual Leprechaun Chase on the Race 5K run.
• 10:30 a.m. — Little Leprechaun contest for kids ages 2-7. Information: sbpark.org.
• 11 a.m. — The 15th annual St. Patrick’s Day Parade followed by the Greening of the Race.
• 1 to 6 p.m. — After-Parade Ceili at Saint Patrick’s Parish Center, 308 S. Scott St. Family friendly.
Sunday, March 17: Live music and dance all day at Fiddler’s Hearth.
To register for the Leprechaun Race visit leprechaunchaseontherace.com until Thursday, March 14.
SWOPE ART MUSEUM: The 69th annual Wabash Valley Juried Exhibition runs from June 29 to Aug. 24. Entries are being accepted until March 30. Information: www.swope.org or WVE@swope.org.
BRAUER MUSEUM OF ART: “The Influence of J.R.R. Tolkien and His Writings” — The exhibit of the personal collection of Dr. Brad Eden’s Tolkien memorabilia is on display until Sunday, March 17. The museum is at 1709 Chapel Drive on the Valparaiso University campus.
BUCHANAN ART CENTER: Gallery hours are from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday.
SOUTHWESTERN MICHIGAN COLLEGE
• Dr. Mary Young-Marcks will give a lecture titled “Well-Behaved Women Rarely Make History,” at 2 p.m. Thursday, March 14, in the Student Activity Center.
• An art faculty exhibit will run through April 5 in the Dale A. Lyons Building. An opening reception will be at 12:30 p.m. Wednesday, March 20, in Room 108 of the Dale A. Lyons Building.
Tickets: At the door or by calling the box office at 800-456-8675, ext. 1280. The college is at 58900 Cherry Grove Road.
FIRESIDE TAP AND GRILL: South of Somewhere will perform from 9 p.m. to midnight Thursdays at the bar, 69245 Maple St. No cover charge. Information: 269-414-4103.
FERNWOOD BOTANICAL GARDENS AND NATURE PRESERVE
• Railway Garden: Replicas of Buchanan’s Pears Mill, the Niles Depot, the St. Joseph Lighthouse and Notre Dame’s Golden Dome.
• The 2013 Spring Garden Symposium will be from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. March 23. Register before Sunday, March 17, for reduced rates.
• Great Lakes Chapter of the Guild of Scientific Illustrators: The exhibit runs until April 14.
Fernwood’s winter hours are 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday and noon to 5 p.m. Sunday. Information: 269-695-6491 or www.fernwoodbotanical.org. The gardens are at 13988 Range Line Road.
FOUR WINDS CASINO: B.B. King concert — Tickets are on sale for the 9 p.m. April 6 concert in the Silver Creek Event Center. Tickets: 800-745-3000 or at www.ticketmaster.com. The casino is at 11111 Wilson Road.
The Entertainment Calendar appears each Thursday in The Elkhart Truth. Deadline for submissions is 5 p.m. Mondays. Notice of upcoming concerts, theater performances, exhibits and events may be addressed to: Entertainment Calendar, The Elkhart Truth, P.O. Box 487, Elkhart, IN 46515; faxed to 294-3895; or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. You also may leave a message with Joe Kuharic at 296-5861.