Police link Elkhart man to seven recent robberies
Posted: 03/08/2013 at 5:02 pm
By: Emily Pfund
Click here to view in a gallery.
Jacob Estep (Photo Supplied)
Capt. Mike Sigsbee said investigators have evidence linking Jacob Estep, 23, to seven armed robberies at Elkhart hotels, tobacco stores and convenience stores.
Estep was arrested on Thursday, Feb. 28, at the Red Roof Inn, 2902 Cassopolis St., in connection with a robbery at the adjacent Days Inn.
Estep appeared in Elkhart Circuit Court in Goshen on Thursday, March 7, for an initial hearing on charges related to the Days Inn robbery. He faces up to 20 years in prison if convicted of the felony.
He could have been involved in several other area robberies as well, Sigsbee said.
Police declined to specify the dates or locations of the robberies in question as their investigation is ongoing.
Earlier in February police arrested Abigail Pifer and Nicholas Chaplin in connection with two robberies on the north side of Elkhart County.
There were five armed robberies on the north side of Elkhart in late January and early February this year:
• Elkhart Cigarette Outlet, 51505 S.R. 19, on Jan. 25;
• Low Bob’s Discount Tobacco, 51423 S.R. 19, on Jan. 25;
• Marathon gas station, 51451 S.R. 19, on Jan. 29;
• Hampton Inn, 215 North Pointe Blvd., on Feb. 1;
• Low Bob’s Discount Tobacco, 51423 S.R. 19, on Feb. 3;
• Phillips 66 gas station, 3320 Cassopolis St., on Feb. 4.