Goshen opens bids for central garage expansion project
Posted: 02/11/2013 at 8:00 pm
When: Monday, Feb. 11
Key action: Granted permission to extend the closure of the north-south alley located west of Third Street, between Madison Street and Jefferson Street, previously approved at the last meeting.
The contractor, John Ward Concrete, asked for the extension through the Redevelopment Commission in order to complete demolition of the non-historic parts of the Hawks building, specifically, the southern warehouse portion and eastern paint room.
For public safety, the alley will remained closed until the walls in the demolition areas are down and no longer pose a threat to traffic.
John Ward Concrete has already coordinated with Allied Waste to avoid any disruption in trash service for residents along Third Street.
The contractor believes the work will be done within the next week.
Other action: Opened bids for the Central Garage expansion project. Five bids were submitted by: Brown and Brown General Contractors, Wakarusa, for a base total of $727,600; Milestone Construction, Syracuse, for $704,600; Ziolkowski Construction, South Bend, for $822,150; CDR Construction, Goshen, for $828,032; and Ancon Construction, Goshen, for $772,900. The bids were then given to the city’s legal department to make a recommendation.
• Accepted and awarded the bid for water storage tank demolition to Kosinski Demolition, Port Austin, Mich., for the contract price of $28,000.
• Granted permission to NIPSCO to block three parking spaces on North Main Street, from Lincoln Avenue south, on the east side Tuesday, Feb. 12. NIPSCO will be working to repair a gas leak, which they believe to be under the sidewalk at that location. A path will be open to pedestrians along the sidewalk. All work should be completed Tuesday.
• Approved a change order for the Rogers Park pavilion fire damage repair. The change order was for the added work to install a cupola on the roof for $2,300. The change brings the total project cost to $162,983.
• Amended the city’s contract with Donohue and Associates for the wastewater treatment plant’s digester upgrades. The upgrades will include treatment plant bar screens, upflow clarifier baffles and weirs and lift stations. The fee to complete the upgrades will cost $192,000.
• Approved annual agreements with seven organizations: the Sister City Committee, Boys and Girls Club, Downtown Goshen, Inc., Goshen Chamber of Commerce, North Central Indiana Business Assistance Center, U.S. 31 Coalition and Economic Development Corporation of Elkhart County.
• Approved encumbrances from 2012 appropriations for a total of $2,629,533.24.
• Approved NIPSCO rate increases for the North Water Plant after a comparison of different rates determined rate 641 would provide significant annual savings. The term of the contract is from February 2013 through February 2014, after which the contract will be on a month-to-month basis.
• Approved an agreement with Ergo Resource Management, Inc. to provide 52 city employees with required health and safety classes. The classes will take place March 13, 14, 20 and 21 for a fixed fee of $4,475.