Holiday public office, trash pick-up schedules set
Posted: 12/23/2012 at 5:32 pm
By: Emily Duchon
City and Utility Offices
• Elkhart public works and utility will be closed Tuesday, Dec. 25, and Jan. 1.
• All Department of Motor Vehicle license branches will be closed Saturday, Dec. 22, Monday, Dec. 24 and Tuesday, Dec. 25. Normal hours of operation will resume Wednesday, Dec. 26. Branches will also be closed Jan. 1, resuming normal hours Jan. 2.
• Goshen city and utility offices will be closed Monday and Tuesday, Dec. 24 and 25, and Jan. 1.
• The Interurban Trolley will not be providing transportation services on Tuesday, Dec. 25, or Jan. 1 in Elkhart or Goshen. This includes the Red Line Elkhart/Goshen, Green Line West, Blue Line North Pointe, Orange Line East and Yellow Line Bittersweet routes. All routes will operate as regularly scheduled on Monday, Dec. 24, and Dec. 31, however.
• Heart City Rider and Goshen Transit Service will be available throughout the holiday season. Trip requests can be made by calling Ace Cab at 295-6886.
Trash Pick-Up and Recycling
• Borden Waste-Away customers with Tuesday pick-up will be set back a day on Tuesday, Dec. 25, and Jan. 1., pick-up resuming the next day, causing all Tuesday through Friday routes to experience a one day delay. Normal collections resume Jan. 7. City residents and Borden customers looking to get rid of their Christmas tree at home can choose to purchase a container tag and tag the tree, or just leave the tree out and incur a $10 charge. Bag and container tags are available at area Martin’s Super Markets, the Borden Waste-Away office, 707 N. Wildwood Ave., or by phone with postal delivery to the resident. Those looking to purchase by phone will need a credit card and 5 tag minimum purchase. Container tags can also be used if filling more than one trash container, and bag tags can be used for each additional bag of trash that does not fit in the standard container. For additional information, call Borden Waste-Away at 293-5001 or visit www.elkhartindiana.org/department/division.asp?fDD=34-167.
• Within the city of Elkhart, various drop-offs for Christmas trees will be available such as those at North Side Middle School, 300 Lawrence St., and Riverview Elementary School, 2509 Wood St.
• Those looking to recycle certain items can now do so at a new recycling facility at 54693 C.R. 17, formerly Banks Lumber Co. Inc. The facility is accepting EPS foam/styrofoam, plastic film and cardboard waste, styrofoam being material that cannot be recycled through regular curb side pick-up. Hours are 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday, closed Christmas Day, 7 a.m. to noon Saturday, closed Sunday.