Food and Nutrition: Need for kitchen safety increases during the holidays
Posted: 12/17/2012 at 1:15 am
Food & Nutrition
The holidays seem to revolve around food and that means entertaining. Itís so easy to get caught up in the festivities and become careless or forget about safety. It is important to think about and practice basic kitchen safety. We are all susceptible to kitchen accidents. A safe kitchen begins with clutter removal, clean counter tops, stove and floor. If you work at cleaning as you cook and putting utensils and ingredients in their proper place, there is less chance of accidents.
Burns and cuts are just two of the possible injuries that can happen in the kitchen. Other injuries include bruises, slips, sprains, falls, strains, electric shock and poisoning. To me, fire and hot utensils are the most obvious dangers. The basic rule of stove safety is to never leave cooking unattended. Turn pot and skillet handles so they donít hang over the front of the stove where they can be bumped or pulled down. When lifting a pot lid, tilt it so it directs the steam away from your face and hands. When in a hurry donít grab and use a hand towel; always use dry potholders to remove hot dishes from the oven or stove.
Another big risk in the kitchen is hot grease and oil ó they present special hazards. Food should be as free of water and ice as possible when it is lowered gently into hot oil. Keep in mind: grease that is smoking is too hot. Smoking grease indicates that it is at the point that it can easily ignite. If a grease fire starts, never try to put it out with water. Remember water and oil/grease do not mix; instead they create dangerous splatters that can cause real injury! Plan to extinguish it by turning off the burner and sliding a lid over the pan or a use a dry-chemical fire extinguisher.
When it comes to clothing here are some common safety rules you should practice wear closing fitting, rolled up or short sleeves rather than loose or flowing sleeves. Scarves may be in high fashion but they are a kitchen nightmare for getting caught or catching on fire. Many kitchen fires start when a long full sleeve of a bathrobe crosses a flame. If clothing does catch on fire, drop to the floor and roll back and forth to smother the flame. If the burns are severe, call for medical help. If the burns are minor, rinse with cold water for at least five minutes. Never treat a burn with grease, butter or ointment. They will trap the heat and make the injury worse.
Knives can be another kitchen hazard. Knives should be kept sharp, as a dull knife requires extra pressure, which increases the possibility that the blade, hand or cutting board will slip. Use knives only for cutting and not for tasks like chopping ice or prying open a container. It is a good idea not to soak a dirty knife in your dishwater as feeling around for a knife in soapy water could mean a nasty cut. Instead wash, dry and put knives away immediately after use. When not in use, knives should be stored in a special slotted rack or wood block or in a separate drawer with blades pointing to the rear.
Even the general kitchen environment can be hazardous. A cabinet door left open can result in a bumped head. I am very bad at this, I leave the doors open and never have an issue but Mr. Cross is always complaining about me leaving the doors open. Throw rugs at the kitchen sink and stove are also big hazards; they make it easy for you to catch your foot and fall. Worn flooring or food spills left on the floor increase the chances of slipping.
The whole area of electric appliances and cords is another safety issue. Cords increase the chances of shock and fire. Make sure to plug and unplug properly and donít put cords where you will trip over them. Also check your lighting; poor lighting means poor visibility, which increases the possibility of accident. You might be able to improve lighting by switching to a different kind of bulb.
This is also a good time of the year to check to your smoke detectors. At the same time check your kitchen fire extinguisher. It should be capable of putting out both electrical and grease fires. A fire extinguisher is an essential piece of equipment that should be in every kitchen. It should also be stored where it is easily and quickly accessible. Smoke alarms and fire extinguishers also are great practical holiday gifts, as well as for weddings.
Mary Ann Lienhart-Cross is an Extension educator in consumer family science. Write to her at 17746 E. C.R. 34, Goshen, IN 46528; call 533-0554; fax 533-0254; or email email@example.com.