Eight sentencing hearings scheduled in Elkhart County Cicuit Court Thursday
Posted: 12/13/2012 at 1:15 am
By: Sharon Hernandez
Jose Quiroz, of 1922 Frances Ave., Elkhart, was arrested following an attempted home invasion at 1919 Frances Ave. Oct. 3. According to Quiroz’s testimony, he and four others attempted to burglarize the home. After they broke into the residence the homeowner, who was taking a nap at the time and was woken by the sound of them trying to get in, shot and killed 21-year-old Danzele Johnson.
As stated by the plea agreement, Quiroz will serve 45 years in prison and 10 years under supervised release.
Two other teenagers involved in the attempted home invasion at 1919 Frances Ave., Blake Layman and Levi Sparks, also have scheduled hearings today.
The other sentencing hearing that will take place today are:
• Krystal Williams, 34, of 913 W. Hubbard Ave., who pleaded guilty to dealing in cocaine and possession of cocaine with intention to deliver, both B felonies, on Nov. 21.
• Kiran Jackson, 616 W. Blain, Elkhart, pleaded guilty to a lesser included offense of dealing in cocaine, a class B felony.
• Coty James, 24, of 54305 Silver St., Elkhart, pleaded guilty to dealing in meth, a Class B felony; maintaining a common nuisance, a Class D felony; and domestic battery, a Class A misdemeanor.
• Brandon Lunkin, 32, of 1545 S. Main St., pleaded guilty to driving a vehicle while intoxicated.
• Jasmine Mullenix, 35, of 230 W. Jackson St., Elkhart, pleaded guilty to manufacturing methamphetamine and battery on an officer Nov. 15.
• Justin Lonnie Quinones, 18, of 409 Harrison St., pleaded guilty to committing robbery while armed with a weapon.
• Cornelius Watkins, 22, 2665 Alpine Fir Lane, Goshen, pleaded guilty to two counts of causing serious bodily injury when driving with a controlled substance in his body. As part of the plea agreement, a count of reckless homicide will be dismissed.
Watkins was involved in a crash Nov. 24, 2011, in which Aaron Jett, 22, was killed and Darnell Cassell, 26, was seriously injured.
The crash happened at the intersection of Concord Mall Drive and South Main Street, when Watkins fell asleep as he was driving south on Main Street. The car he, Jett and Cassell were in crossed the center of the lane and struck a pole on the southeast side of the intersection.