Entertainment Calendar - Nov. 22, 2012
Posted: 11/22/2012 at 1:15 am
Click here to view in a gallery.
IU South Bend is hosting a Teddy Bear Concert on Dec. 7 in the campus auditorium in Northside Hall (photo provided).
GOSHEN NOON KIWANIS CLUB: Travelogue Series — The next film is at 7:30 p.m. Dec. 3 in the Goshen Middle School auditorium. The film “America’s Parklands” will play. Tickets are available at the door. Information: Deb Jones at 536-6091. The school is at 1216 S. Indiana Ave. (C.R. 21), Goshen.
HUMANE SOCIETY OF ELKHART
COUNTY: The annual open house for the public and their pets is from noon to 3 p.m. Dec. 2 at the humane society. Information: www.elkharthumanesociety.org. The society is at 54687 C.R. 19, Bristol.
AMISH ACRES ROUND BARN THEATRE
“Miracle on 34th Street” runs through Dec. 31. Shows are at 2 or 8 p.m. depending on the date. Tickets start at $27.95 adults, $12.95 children 12-18, $6.95 children 4-11. For a complete show schedule, tickets and ticket availability call 800-800-4942, ext. 2, or visit www.amishacres.com. Amish Acres is at 1600 W. Market St., Nappanee.
DAS DUTCHMAN ESSENHAUS: The Father — The play will be performed at 7 p.m. Dec. 6 to 8 with a 2 p.m. matinee Dec. 8 at Essenhaus Heritage Hall. Admission. Tickets and information: 800-455-9471 or www.essenhaus.com. The hall is at 13489 C.R. 16, Middlebury.
PUPPET PARLOR THEATRE: “Hanzel and Gretel” will be performed at the theater through Jan. 1 at Concord Mall. Show times are 1 and 4 p.m. Wednesdays and Fridays, 1 and 3 p.m. Saturdays, and 2 and 4 p.m. Sundays. Information: 219-210-3428.
SOUTH BEND CIVIC THEATRE
• “She Loves Me” — Performances are at 8 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays, 3 p.m. Sundays, and 7:30 p.m. Thursdays and Wednesdays from Nov. 30 to Dec. 16.
• “A Laura Ingalls Wilder Christmas” — Performances are at 2 p.m. Saturdays and 7 p.m. Sundays Dec. 1-15.
Tickets: The box office at 234-1112 or www.sbct.org. The theater is at 403 N. Main St.
BLUE GATE THEATER
• A Christmas Grand Piano Extravaganza is at 6 p.m. Dec. 7 and 8.
• “Half-Stitched: A Musical” will be performed through Dec. 8. Times vary. Ticket price varies with package.
Performances are at 7 p.m. unless otherwise noted. Information: 888-447-4725. The theater is at 195 Van Buren St., Shipshewana.
•Lavender Jazz Fall Concert — The concert is at 7:30 p.m. Nov. 30. Tickets: Prices vary.
• A Festival of Carols — Performances at 7:30 p.m. Dec. 7 and 8 and at 4 p.m. Dec. 9 at the college.
Information: 535-7566, firstname.lastname@example.org or [URL]www.goshen.edu/tickets;[URL]. The college is at 1700 S. Main St., Goshen.
GRAND HORIZON CENTER: The band, For King and Country, will perform at 7 p.m. Dec. 1 at the center. Tickets: [/URL]www.itickets.com;http://www.itickets.com[URL]. The center is at 1610 S. Nappanee St., Elkhart.
RUTHMERE MUSEUM: Pianist Nicholas Roth will perform at 7 p.m. Friday in Ruthmere’s Game Room. Tickets: $20. Reservations: 264-0330, ext. 101. The museum is at 302 E. Beardsley Ave., Elkhart.
WAGON WHEEL THEATRE: Tickets for the New Year’s Eve concert by Diamond Rio are on sale. Shows are at 7 and 9:30 p.m. at the theater. Admission: Prices range between $47 and $65. Information and tickets: [/URL]www.wagonwheeltheatre.org;[URL]. The theater is at 2515 E. Center St., Warsaw.
APPALACHIAN CLOG DANCING: Dance lessons will be from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. every Thursday through Dec. 6 at Prairieview Missionary Church. No experience necessary. Class fees apply. Information: Becky at 773-3569, Maribeth at 825-9672 or Sharon at 457-2258. The church is at 2612 Dierdorf Road, Goshen.
• Winter Workshops — The workshops will run from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Dec. 8. Len Cockman will discuss potter, Doug Kiles will discuss jewelry, Dick Trench will discuss stone carving and Tuck Langland will discuss clay modeling. Free.
• Glory-June Greiff — The narrator, photographer and performer will give a lecture at 1 p.m. Dec. 9.
• So you want to be an artist! — A lecture from four artists will be given at 3 p.m. Dec. 9.
Information: 282-2787 or [/URL]www.fireartsinc.com;[URL]. Fire Arts is at 305 E. Colfax Ave., South Bend.
GOSHEN JEWELERS GUILD: A two-session class on pierced ornaments taught by Judy Wenig-Horswell begins Tuesday. Information: [/URL]goshenjewelersguild.wordpress.com;http://goshenjewelersguild.wordpress.com[URL]. The guild is at 212 W. Washington 28, Goshen.
MIDWEST MUSEUM OF ART
• Today — Closed for Thanksgiving.
• Nov. 29 — Justin and Brooke Rothshank discuss their lives as artists.
• Dec. 6 — Brooke Marks-Swanson, metalsmith.
Talks are every Thursday from 12:20 to 1 p.m. and are free. Information and registration: 293-6660 or [/URL]www.midwestmuseum.us;[URL]. The museum is at 429 S. Main St., Elkhart.
OX BOW COUNTY PARK: A program on making homemade butter and jam is from 9 to 11 a.m. Dec. 8 at the Ox Bow Haus Shelter in the park. Cost: $4. Registration required by Dec. 6. Registration: 535-6458. Information: [/URL]www.elkhartcountyparks.org;http://www.elkhartcountyparks.org[URL]. The park is at 23033 C.R. 45, Goshen.
Dance class schedule:
• 9:15 to 10:15 a.m. — Beginner Hip Hop, ages 8-12
• 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. — Intermediate Hip Hop, ages 13-17
• 11:45 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. — Pre-school Boot Camp, ages 3-7
Classes cost $20 each. Information and registration: Sue Frost-Mayse at 293-4469 or email@example.com. Premier Arts is at 410 S. Main St., Elkhart.
SOUTH BEND CIVIC THEATRE: December Workshop — Decembers classes focus on auditioning.
• Dec. 2 and 9 — Adults from 7 to 8:30 p.m. at Firehouse Theatre, 701 Portage Ave., South Bend.
• Dec. 3 and 10 — K through third grades from 5:30 to 7 p.m. in the Studio Theatre
• Dec. 4 and 11 — Fourth through sixth grades from 5:30 to 7 p.m. in the Studio Theatre
• Dec. 8 and 15 — Seventh through twelfth grades from 10 to 11:30 a.m. in the Studio Theatre.
Cost. Enrollment: 234-1112. Information: 968-7496 or [/URL]www.sbct.org;[URL]. The theater is at 403 N. Main St., South Bend.
STUDEBAKER PAVILION: Dance classes are offered Monday through Jan. 7 at the pavilion, 1020 McDonald St., Elkhart. Beginner’s classes are from 6 to 7 p.m. and beginner and intermediate combined classes are from 7 to 8 p.m. Cost: $60 per session or $15 per week. Partner required. Information: [/URL]www.elkhartindiana.org/parks;http://www.elkhartindiana.org/parks[URL].
ARTWALK: Artwalk Wednesday is from 5 to 8 p.m. Dec. 5. Information and application: [/URL]www.downtownelkhart.org/arts-entertainment/artwalk;http://www.downtownelkhart.org/arts-entertainment/artwalk[URL].
BRADLEY VITE FINE ART: The museum specializes in 19th and 20th century American art. The museum is open from 11:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday and by appointment. The museum is at 1600 W. Beardsley Ave.
CIRCAARTS GALLERY: Hours: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Wednesday through Friday, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday. The gallery is at 528 E. Colfax Ave., South Bend. Information: 233-8400.
ELKHART COUNTY HISTORICAL MUSEUM
• Temporary exhibit “The Home Front: Elkhart County During World War II” is open.
• Traveling exhibit “Endangered Heritage” runs through Dec. 17.
The museum is at 304 W. Vistula St., Bristol. Hours are from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday. There is no admission charge, but donations are accepted.
FIRE ARTS: Fall art classes are being offered. Information: 282-2787 or [/URL]www.fireartsinc.com;[URL]. Fire Arts is at 305 E. Colfax Ave., South Bend.
GALLERY AT THE MILLRACE: The gallery is at 212 W. Washington St., Goshen.
HALL OF HEROES SUPER HERO MUSEUM: Information: 293-0755. The museum is at 58005 C.R. 105.
HOSTETLER’S HUDSON AUTO MUSEUM: The museum contains 48 permanent museum cars and 10 to 12 cars from Hostetler’s personal collection. The museum is open Monday through Saturday. Admission. Information: 260-768-3021 or [/URL]www.hostetlershudsons.com;[URL]. The museum is at 760 S. Van Buren St., Shipshewana.
NATIONAL NEW YORK CENTRAL RAILROAD MUSEUM: The Stanley Bell model railroad collection includes hundreds of pieces on display. Six trains operating at the same time. Interactive displays. Hours: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday, noon to 4 p.m. Sunday. Information: 294-3001. The museum is at 721 S. Main St., Elkhart.
MIDDLEBURY MUSEUM: Hours: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturdays, free. The museum is at 301 Bristol Ave.
MIDWEST MUSEUM OF AMERICAN ART
• Work submitted to the 34th Elkhart Juried Regional will be on display through Dec. 2.
• “Images of Children in Art” — A display of 50 works of art in all media depicting images of children or a childlike presence from the museum’s permanent collection. From Dec. 7 - Feb. 24.
The museum is open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday through Friday and 1 to 4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. Admission. Information: 293-6660 or firstname.lastname@example.org. The museum is at 429 S. Main St., Elkhart.
NORTHERN INDIANA ARTISTS INC.: 514 Lincoln Way E., Mishawaka. Gallery hours: 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Saturday.
• Twelve Days of Christmas — Christmas-themed tours will begin Saturday and run through Dec. 30 during regular tour hours. Special evening tours will be given between 6 and 7:30 p.m. Dec. 27 and 28.
• Guided tours of the mansion are offered on the hour from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday and 1 to 3 p.m. Sunday. Admission. Information: 264-0330.
Information: 264-0330 or [/URL]www.Ruthmere.org;http://www.fireartsinc.com[URL]. The museum is at 302 E. Beardsley Ave., Elkhart.
RV/MH HALL OF FAME: Open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Saturday. Admission. Information: 293-2344. Located at 21565 Executive Blvd., south of the Indiana Toll Road, east off C.R. 17.
SNITE MUSEUM OF ART
• An exhibition of paintings, oil sketches and drawings titled “Breaking the Mold: The Legacy of the Noah L. and Muriel S. Butkin Collection of Nineteenth Century French Art” is on display through Dec. 2.
• “Fragility and Resilience,” Sculptures by Stephen De Staebler, is on display through Dec. 2.
• Father Lindesmith’s Collection runs through Dec. 2.
Information: 631-5466 or [/URL]sniteartmuseum.nd.edu;http://sniteartmuseum.nd.edu[URL]. The museum is at 100 Moose Krause Circle, University of Notre Dame.
SOUTH BEND MUSEUM OF ART: The Displaced: Regional artist Doug Kinsey will have his art on exhibit through Dec. 2.
Information: 235-9102 or [/URL]www.southbendart.org;http://www.indianahistory.org/lhs/hha[URL].
STUDEBAKER NATIONAL MUSEUM
• Studebaker at the Brickyard: The exhibit runs through April 28. The exhibit will focus on the Studebaker’s factory-backed teams in 1932 and 1933.
• Studebaker Super Service Center: The exhibit displays a realistic service center for kids, a kid-sized car and the chance to order parts and work with tools to keep their vehicle purring.
The museum is at 201 S. Chapin St., South Bend. Hours: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Saturday and noon to 5 p.m. Sunday. Admission. Information: 235-9714, 888-391-5600 or [/URL]www.studebakermuseum.org;http://www.arts.gov/bluestarmuseums[URL].
WOODLAWN NATURE CENTER: Hours: 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, 1 to 5 p.m. Friday, 1 to 6 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. Information: 264-0525. The center is at 604 Woodlawn Ave.
BARNEY’S BAR: Barney’s Bar and DJ Killa Keebz have teamed up for trivia nights covering sports and music for prizes including gift certificates for food or drinks from 7 to 11 p.m. Tuesdays at the bar, 2700 Hammond Ave. No cover charge. Information: 387-7882 or email@example.com.
CAPPY’S NORTH SIDE TAVERN: Live bands take the stage starting at 10 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays. No cover charge. The bar is at 1000 N. Michigan St.
CLUB FEVER: The club is at 222 S. Michigan St., South Bend.
CONSTANT SPRING: Hip-hop performers Sidewalk Chalk and B.E.A.T. will perform at 10 p.m. Dec. 8 at the bar. Must be 21 or older. Cover: $5. The bar is at 219 S. Main St., Goshen.
• Today — Closed for Thanksgiving
• Friday — Kennedys Kitchen
• Saturday — ND at USC
In the restaurant at 127 N. Main St., South Bend. Information: 232-2853 or [/URL]www.fiddlershearth.com;http://www.southbendart.org[URL].
• Nov. 21 — The Woodman Music Show
All bands begin at 10 p.m. The restaurant is at 600 S. Main St., Elkhart. Information: 295-8882.
ROCK BOTTOM BAR: Bryan Barr sings and plays from 7 to 10 p.m. Tuesdays, with karaoke set up for guests interested in singing along. Information: 294-8888. The bar is at 2220 S. Nappanee St.
RULLI’S BELLA LUNA BAR: Information: 825-7222 or [/URL]www.facebook.com/RullisBellaLuna;[URL]. The bar is at 851 U.S. 20, Middlebury.
SIGNATURE LANES: Catman and the All-Niters will perform from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. Saturday.
SPORTS TIME PUB AND GRILL: JT Buffett: Island Music plays from 6 to 9 p.m. Fridays. The restaurant is at 56199 Parkway Ave., Elkhart. Information: 970-5940.
SWEET CREAMS SODA SHOP: Closed for Thanksgiving, today through Monday.
BARNEY’S BAR: Today, Friday and Saturday
BOLT’S: Friday and Saturday
BOWLY’S CRYSTAL BAR: Saturday
CAPPY’S NORTH SIDE TAVERN: 9:30 p.m. Tuesday through Thursday
CHAMELEON EXPERIENCE: Today and Sunday
CHICAGO GRILL & BAR: Wednesday
CONSTANT SPRING: Wednesday
GARVER LAKE BAR & GRILL: Today and Saturday
MY DAD’S PLACE: Tuesday through Sunday
PHYL’S CORNER: Friday and Saturday
POOR TONY’S RESTAURANT AND LOUNGE: 6 to 10 p.m. Wednesday, 7:30 p.m. to 1 a.m. Friday and Saturday
SIGNATURE LANES: 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. Friday
VFW POST 88: 8 p.m. to midnight Saturday
Also In The Area
HESSTON STEAM MUSEUM: Santa’s Candy Cane Express — Christmas trains will run from noon to 5 p.m. CST Dec. 1 and 2 and Dec. 8 and 9. Tickets: $5 adults, $3 kids 12 and younger. Information: 219-778-2783 on weekends or [/URL]www.hesston.org;http://www.hesston.org[URL]. The museum is at 1201 E. 1000 N.
WAKARUSA DIME STORE: The grand opening of the life size Candy Land game is Saturday at the Mishawaka store. The store is at 340 W. Cleveland Road.
• Friday — Rick Clifford and the Dream Team. Cover: $5
• Saturday — Billy Stix Nicks and the Motown Blues Show and Dance Band. Cover: $10
• Nov. 30 — Terry and the Heart Beats. Cover: TBA
• Dec. 1 — Lil Frank and the Premiers. Cover: TBA
• Dec. 2 — Marvin Band at 8 p.m. Cover: $5
All times are at 9 p.m. unless otherwise noted. Information: 255-0458. The tavern is at 810 W. Fourth St.
IU SOUTH BEND
• “It’s a Wonderful Life” — The performance is at 8 p.m. Nov. 29 to Dec. 1, at 4 p.m. Dec. 1 and a matinee will be at 2 p.m. Dec. 2 in the Upstage of Northside Hall. Tickets: $5 to $9, free for students and children.
• Student Art Exhibition — Student work will be on display Nov. 29 to Dec. 1 in the East Lounge of Northside Hall. An opening reception is from 4 to 6 p.m. Nov. 29.
• The Teddy Bear Concert — The South Bend Symphonic Choir will be joined by the IU South Bend Chorale Chamber Choir and Gospel Choir at 7:30 p.m. Dec. 7 in the campus auditorium in Northside Hall. Donations of teddy bears to benefit the Center for the Homeless will be accepted.
Information: 520-4203 or [/URL]arts.iusb.edu;[URL]. The university is at 1700 W. Mishawaka Ave.
MORRIS PERFORMING ARTS CENTER
• Black Friday Love and Laugh Concert — The concert begins at 8 p.m. Friday.
• Tickets are on sale for the 7:30 p.m. Dec. 19 performance by Under the Streetlamp. Tickets: 800-537-6415 or [/URL]www.MorrisCenter.org;[URL]. The theater is at 211 N. Michigan St.
SOUTH BEND CENTER FOR HISTORY
• “Vincent” — The play is at 7 p.m. Nov. 29 and 30 and at 2 p.m. Dec. 1. The play about artist Vincent van Gogh was written by Leonard Nimoy. Admission. Reservations suggested.
• History of Yuletide Decorations — Curator Dave Bainbridge will speak at 1:30 p.m. Dec. 5 at the center. Admission. Reservations by Dec. 3 suggested.
• Christmas at the Oliver Mansion — A holiday treasure hunt is at noon Sundays through December.
Reservations: 235-9664. Information: [/URL]www.centerforhistory.org;http://www.centerforhistory.org[URL]. The center is at 808 W. Washington St.
BUCHANAN ART CENTER: Gallery hours are 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday.
EDWARDSBURG MUSEUM: The annual community tree lighting ceremony is from 5 to 7 p.m. Saturday across from the museum. The museum is at 25616 Main St.
FIRESIDE TAP AND GRILL: South of Somewhere performs 9 p.m. to midnight Thursdays at the bar, 69245 Maple St. No cover charge. Information: 269-414-4103.
FOUR WINDS CASINO: Tickets are on sale for The Prince Tribute Show: Purple Reign. The show is at 9 p.m. Dec. 31 at Hard Rock Cafe in the casino. Information: [/URL]www.fourwindscasino.com;[URL]. The casino is at 11111 Wilson Road, New Buffalo.
CHRISTMAS AT SMITH’S CHAPEL: The Christmas event is at 7 p.m. Dec. 1. It will include two choirs from Edwardsburg High School, Dunlap Bell Ringers, The Christmas Story as told by the Rev. Jeff Reese and an appearance by Santa Claus. Information: 269-932-5242. The Chapel is at 29858 Redfield Road.
FERNWOOD BOTANICAL GARDENS AND NATURE PRESERVE
• Botanicals Gallery Exhibition — The opening night for an exhibit on the work of artist Ann Tompkins is from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Friday. The exhibit will run until Jan. 6.
• Trip to Christkindlmarket in Chicago — Fernwood is arranging transportation from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Dec. 5 for a day trip to Chicago for the winter market. Cost: $62. Register by Nov. 25.
• Railway Garden: Replicas of Buchanan’s Pears Mill, the Niles Depot, the St. Joseph Lighthouse and Notre Dame’s Golden Dome.
• Early Winter Yoga Classes are 12:30 to 1:45 p.m. Saturdays through Dec. 15.
• Sculpture Fernwood: A map is available for your visit and an exhibit catalog is available for purchase. All sculptures but Lorenzo are for sale. Sculpture Fernwood runs through Labor Day 2013.
Fernwood is open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday, noon to 6 p.m. Sunday.
Information: 269-695-6491 or [/URL]www.fernwoodbotanical.org;. The gardens are at 13988 Range Line Road.
The Entertainment Calendar appears each Thursday in The Elkhart Truth. Deadline for submissions to the calendar is 5 p.m. Monday. Notice of upcoming concerts, theater performances, exhibits and events may be addressed to: Entertainment Calendar, The Elkhart Truth, P.O. Box 487, Elkhart, IN 46515; faxed to 294-3895