Teen pleads guilty to murder in Elkhart attempted home invasion case
Posted: 11/16/2012 at 1:15 am
By: Sharon Hernandez
Click here to view in a gallery.
Jose Quiroz 10/5/2012 (Photo Supplied)
Jose Quiroz Jr., 17, of Goshen, pleaded guilty to the charge of murder during the commission of a felony for his connection to the attempted home invasion at 1919 Frances Ave. that left one person dead Oct. 3.
In exchange for his guilty plea, heíll serve 45 years in prison and 10 under supervised release. His sentencing hearing has been scheduled for Dec. 13.
Deputy Public Defender Peter Todd worked with Chief Deputy Prosecutor Vicki Becker to get the deal for Quiroz, a deal which will have Quiroz in prison for the minimum possible term.
During the plea hearing, Quiroz testified, saying he, along with Blake Layman, 17, and Levi Sparks, 17, identified some homes that could be targeted for burglary. Quiroz specifically said Sparks knocked on a few doors along Frances Avenue before deciding to break into 1919 Frances Ave.
Quiroz also said the three called Danzele Johnson, 21, and Anthony Sharp, 18, for assistance in getting into the house. He said Sparks acted as a lookout for the other four.
The group broke into 1919 Frances Ave. on Oct. 3, grabbing knives to try to rob Rodney Scott, the homeowner. Scott heard the intruders and ran downstairs, firing five shots.
Johnson died in the shooting, and Layman was wounded in the leg.
Sparks, Layman and Sharp Jr., all have the same charge pending. Their jury trial is scheduled for Jan. 17, 2013. Under Indiana law, if anyone dies during the commission of a felony, everyone committing that felony can be charged with murder, even if itís a conspirator who died.
Elkhart County Prosecutor Curtis Hill previously determined that the homeowner acted reasonably and in self-defense, he said in a press release.
Laymanís mother, Angie Johnson, said she was disappointed with the quick outcome.
ďIím disappointed that a (17)-year-old would sign a plea agreement that dramatic at this point in time of the case. We havenít even started the case,Ē she said.
Angela Johnson has been working with other family members and friends asking for charges against the teenagers be dropped. She started a movement on change.org in which anyone supporting the movement can sign a petition that asks Indiana Attorney General Greg Zoeller and Hill to drop the charges and give the teenagers another chance.